Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Re: Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTO-35 View Post
    While it's true that the factory fuel line was steel, copper will only crack if it's rigidly connected at one or both ends. If it simply floats between two rubber fuel lines, as I use it, it will last forever. I do admit, however, that rubber fuel lines are often only good for two or three years, so whenever I change my fuel filters I also change out the rubber lines.
    The ethanol in modern gasoline blends tends to accelerate the decomposition of rubber, so it's best to avoid using it if at all possible. IMHO
    .

  2. #12
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,116
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old MF

    Default Re: Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTO-35 View Post
    While it's true that the factory fuel line was steel, copper will only crack if it's rigidly connected at one or both ends. If it simply floats between two rubber fuel lines, as I use it, it will last forever. I do admit, however, that rubber fuel lines are often only good for two or three years, so whenever I change my fuel filters I also change out the rubber lines.
    I used fuel injector rubber lines which is a step above the regular fuel lines. It's kinda pricey but it should there for many years. -kid

  3. #13
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,059
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTO-35 View Post
    While it's true that the factory fuel line was steel, copper will only crack if it's rigidly connected at one or both ends. If it simply floats between two rubber fuel lines, as I use it, it will last forever. I do admit, however, that rubber fuel lines are often only good for two or three years, so whenever I change my fuel filters I also change out the rubber lines.
    wow.. rubber fuel lines and external filters.

    I feel a ferguson joke coming on.. but I'll be nice and supress it.

    seriously.. copper and rubber fule lines are 2 things I don't find attractive on a old gasser like these...

  4. #14
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,059
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line

    Quote Originally Posted by The kid View Post
    . -kid
    I don't appreciate you calling me a troll.

    other posters emailed me your comment in case you deleted them.

    I'm anything but an internet troll. I'm offering GOOD advice.

    rubber lines and copper lines are bad, and possibly dangerous bandaid fixes on these types of machines.

    I've seen plenty of tractors and barns BURN.

    fords and fergy especially have gas tanks perched OVER engines with hot manifolds. doesn't take much for a rubber fuel line to melt on a hot manifold.

    I've replaced many a leaky copper fuel line on a tractor I bought. gas and hot manifolds don't mix.

    As for inline fuel filters. another sub-par 'lazy mans' fix.

    These machines were designed with sufficient fuel screening to operate fine with normal maintenance.

    If someone needs to scab on an external fuel filter..that means they have a dirty or rusty fuel delivery system.

    way better to address the issue, then scab on an external filter, which usually is done with rubber line.

    It's indicative of a lack of maintenance issue. Also.. some external fuel filters are designed for systems needing fuel pumps, not gravity feeds. that n and of itself can cause run time problems.

    can't tell how many fuel flow issues I've solved for othere by removing their scabbed on in line fuel filter that was restricting flow.

    I doubt you want me to post the troll comment you left about me.. however I have saved it.. and will post it for others to see the comment if you want to play that sort of game... and that's exactly what it is.. a childish game.

    soundguy

  5. #15
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Re: Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    rubber lines and copper lines are bad, and possibly dangerous bandaid fixes on these types of machines.

    I've seen plenty of tractors and barns BURN.

    fords and fergy especially have gas tanks perched OVER engines with hot manifolds. doesn't take much for a rubber fuel line to melt on a hot manifold.

    I've replaced many a leaky copper fuel line on a tractor I bought. gas and hot manifolds don't mix.
    Very true. To help illustrate the danger, I created the following image which clearly shows the close proximity of the fuel line to the manifold on my Massey Ferguson 135 tractor. Not to mention the fact that there is ten gallons of gasoline perched directly above the manifold. Many other tractors are very similar in design.

    .

  6. #16
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,116
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old MF

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post

    I don't appreciate you calling me a troll.

    other posters emailed me your comment in case you deleted them.

    I'm anything but an internet troll. I'm offering GOOD advice.

    rubber lines and copper lines are bad, and possibly dangerous bandaid fixes on these types of machines.

    I've seen plenty of tractors and barns BURN.

    fords and fergy especially have gas tanks perched OVER engines with hot manifolds. doesn't take much for a rubber fuel line to melt on a hot manifold.

    I've replaced many a leaky copper fuel line on a tractor I bought. gas and hot manifolds don't mix.

    As for inline fuel filters. another sub-par 'lazy mans' fix.

    These machines were designed with sufficient fuel screening to operate fine with normal maintenance.
    Here you say my way is lazy. BTW I put a torch to the flame resistant fuel line. Guess what. It didn't melt. Go figure. What's wrong with added protection. No skin off your back is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    If someone needs to scab on an external fuel filter..that means they have a dirty or rusty fuel delivery system.
    Here you assume I don't know what I 'm doing. My thread clearly shows I tended my tank and refurbished it.. Scabbing mentioned again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    way better to address the issue, then scab on an external filter, which usually is done with rubber line.
    Again, not just a rubber line as you mention several times to reinforce your opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    It's indicative of a lack of maintenance issue. Also.. some external fuel filters are designed for systems needing fuel pumps, not gravity feeds. that n and of itself can cause run time problems. can't tell how many fuel flow issues I've solved for othere by removing their scabbed on in line fuel filter that was restricting flow.
    Did I indicate I had a fuel problem and asked for help? I don't think I did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post

    I doubt you want me to post the troll comment you left about me.. however I have saved it.. and will post it for others to see the comment if you want to play that sort of game... and that's exactly what it is.. a childish game.

    The comment about the troll was uncalled and I apologize for it and I deleted it. In the reason Box it was stated. "I didn't want to stoop to Soundguys level" with that response. FYI my fuel line is NOT scabbed in as you refer to it. Some may have done it poorly. I used a high quality flame resistant reinforced neoprene fuel line used on high pressure fuel injected systems. The scabbed filter as you referred in just extra protection. My fuel tank is spotless on the inside. Let me say. My fuel line is in no way near extreme heat. You do it your way. I 'll do mine my way. There is no need for you to belittle or criticize me. If that's how you operate then my opinion of you which I held highly just dropped. The term "scabbing" is insulting because you do it without knowing the facts. We are not on the "front porch" where everyone is fair game. As I said. I was the one who removed the post and stated the reason. Good day.
    Last edited by The kid; 03-14-2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Patched ipads butchered quotes

  7. #17
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,059
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line

    Quote Originally Posted by The kid View Post
    Here you say my way is lazy. .
    Look..

    I didn't say 'YOU' i'm not singling you out. In fact.. if you look.. the quote in my original reply goes to another user anyway..

    My message was posted in general about the safety of rubber or copper fuel lines.

    it wasn't until you fired off the troll post that I even made the larger reply .

    My message about the fuel filter is based on years of observation on these machines I've fixed and helped others to fix.if the shoe doesn't fit.. don't wear it.

    Again.. I have not even LOOKED at your setup.. so i have no clue what YOU have.

    I'm putting the info out there for the other 99% of people that may think laying a rubber line on a hot manifold is safe.. or using some un-supported copper in an area is 100% safe. I'm trying to help them out. If YOU already know everything int he world. then my message is not directed at YOU.

    I'm trying to save someone the grief of a burnt tractor or barn.. or worse. The fuel filter? if the oe system is working.. I've simply never seen a need for one. Most of the cases where I see someone with an external fuel filter..adn they are having run time problems.. the fuel filter is usually a contributing factor. that's simply what I've observed.

    If yours fits and is fine. that GOOD.

    Now.. apparently from your message you think everything i say is directed at you or revolves around you. Well.. just to let you know. It doesn't.


    hopefully others reading this won't be so narcissistic, and WILL 'stoop' to my level of safety.


    PS.. don't bother replying, to my post anyway.. I'm adding you to my ignore list. I've no time for childish ego bumping, chest pumping games...

    soundguy

  8. #18
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Re: Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line

    Previously, it was mentioned that using fuel injection rubber hose would mitigate the risk of heat-related failure... For those who believe that using rubber hose for fuel lines on vintage tractors is a good idea, here are some facts to consider.

    Most fuel injection rubber hose is manufactured to SAE J30R9 specifications, having a temperature range of -34 to 135 C (-29 to 275 F), with intermittent use at 150 C (302 F). As previously mentioned, the fuel lines on most vintage tractors are routed very close to the intake/exhaust manifold, and exhaust manifold temperatures range between 500 to 1000 F or more, far exceeding the maximum temperature range of the rubber hose.

    Fuel Injection Hose SAE 30R9 | Goodyear Engineered Products

    Quote Originally Posted by MasseyWV View Post
    To help illustrate the danger, I created the following image which clearly shows the close proximity of the fuel line to the manifold on my Massey Ferguson 135 tractor. Not to mention the fact that there is ten gallons of gasoline perched directly above the manifold. Many other tractors are very similar in design.

    Last edited by MasseyWV; 03-14-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    .

  9. #19
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    315
    Location
    guess where
    Tractor
    xyz

    Default Re: Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line

    The only thing that would reduce the risk is the fan is constantly blowing cooler air back toward the carborator, manifold and exhaust pipe but I wouldn't rely on it after the motor is shut off, it stays pretty hot. Tractors with vertical exhaust would have less of a risk. For safety reasons it would not be advisable to use rubber line anywhere near the manifold and exhaust pipe. Rubber possibly may be able to be used on the back side of the motor up to the tank safley, but if it was acceptable the manufacturer would have done it from the factory. That's my opinion.

  10. #20
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,116
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old MF

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post

    Look..

    I didn't say 'YOU' i'm not singling you out. In fact.. if you look.. the quote in my original reply goes to another user anyway..

    My message was posted in general about the safety of rubber or copper fuel lines.

    it wasn't until you fired off the troll post that I even made the larger reply .

    My message about the fuel filter is based on years of observation on these machines I've fixed and helped others to fix.if the shoe doesn't fit.. don't wear it.

    Again.. I have not even LOOKED at your setup.. so i have no clue what YOU have.

    I'm putting the info out there for the other 99% of people that may think laying a rubber line on a hot manifold is safe.. or using some un-supported copper in an area is 100% safe. I'm trying to help them out. If YOU already know everything int he world. then my message is not directed at YOU.

    I'm trying to save someone the grief of a burnt tractor or barn.. or worse. The fuel filter? if the oe system is working.. I've simply never seen a need for one. Most of the cases where I see someone with an external fuel filter..adn they are having run time problems.. the fuel filter is usually a contributing factor. that's simply what I've observed.

    If yours fits and is fine. that GOOD.

    Now.. apparently from your message you think everything i say is directed at you or revolves around you. Well.. just to let you know. It doesn't.

    hopefully others reading this won't be so narcissistic, and WILL 'stoop' to my level of safety.

    PS.. don't bother replying, to my post anyway.. I'm adding you to my ignore list. I've no time for childish ego bumping, chest pumping games...

    soundguy
    It's easy to hide behind another's quote when I said basically the same thing on the same post. So you insulted both of us. By your refraining to make a joke. In the case of the original OP quote his definition of rubber is probably different from yours. There is absolutely nothing wrong using an external filter. So we both in the quote was doing the same thing. You conveniently left my comment out of your quote to again reinforce your unwarranted Comments.You felt a need to belittle him as well as me since my post was there. It would have thought you had more restraint from belittling newer members here. I've seen several of your below the belt post in other forums. This is my last comment about this. Whether I use a steel, copper, rubber, bamboo fuel line. It doesn't matter. It's my tractor. Not yours. If you call me thumping my chest. What the heck are you doing sounding off again to get the last word? Saving face here for your childish immature comment on a couple of guys tractors? Thank you for putting me on ignore. That made my day. I did a lot of research on what type of fuel line to use to replace the hard steel one. Have you ever heard of dirty gas or heard of someone getting dirty gas. A gas can can get easily contaminated without knowing. Fuel filter are extra insurance. If the tank is clean it will probably never need to be replaced. FYI on the MF Continental engine the line (fuel) is routed behind the carb and exits behind the metal breather tube, then to the new cutoff I installed. The heat-shield and the rear tank mounting bracket prevents any heat (high) in that area. I am not doing a contest restore.

    I like you comment on others projects. Why would you even think of wanting to make a joke? Because we didn't follow your advice? Narcissistic? What's that all about. You may have me on ignore but other read what you write. I did apologize for my BRIEF POST. That' a few shelves above your thoughts and actions. Thanks for the ignore comment. My tractor runs fine too. Good day. -kid

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 02:37 PM
  2. oil pressure line for ferguson TO-35
    By fergusonto35 in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 03:38 PM
  3. Massey Ferguson Drive Line
    By scottwme in forum Massey Ferguson Owning/Operating
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2011, 03:47 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 09:58 PM
  5. Massey Ferguson On-line
    By MFMan in forum Massey Ferguson Owning/Operating
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2005, 07:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.