Oil & Fuel Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line

/ Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line #1  

Maverick7Wi

Tractor
Ferguson TO-20
I hope this post finds you all having a fine day. Not bad here in N. Dakota. I have a 1950 TO-20 that is leaking gas from the fuel line. The line looks to be very corroded. It seems like an easy fix, but looking online, am not able to find a fuel line on the main sites. Can anyone suggest where to get a quality replacement? Is my best bet just going to NAPA or O'Reilly's? Thanks

/ Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line #2  
The fuel line is most likely copper. You could pick up a length of it from your local plumbing store along with some compression fittings.

/ Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line #3  
unless you want to keep it all original I'd say go to napa and use what they got. It has no pressure, it's gravity fed. My TO35 was replaced with rubber fuel line before I got it. It works well.

/ Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line #4  
The fuel line is most likely copper. You could pick up a length of it from your local plumbing store along with some compression fittings.

Mike, doesn't that small copper line have flared ends?

/ Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line #5  
The kid said:
Mike, doesn't that small copper line have flared ends?

Thats what the compresion fittings do. They remove the need for a flaring tool.

/ Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line #6  
Well, a compression fitting doesn't actually replace a flared tubing, but I'm sure the OP will easily piece together a fuel line that will work. A ferrule compression fitting on a piece of metal line that came in a roll will often leak, since coiling the metal line distorts it and makes it egg shaped. My fuel lines , which usually include non-stock filters, are usually combinations of rubber fuel line, barbed fittings, and copper lines. When connecting a rubber fuel line to a copper line, I always put a small single or double flare in the copper line to prevent the hose from slipping off ( even though I also use a hose clamp). Years ago, I connected the transmission cooler lines on my car with two hose clamps, but no barb in the metal line to keep the rubber line on . Sure enough, the rubber line eventually slid off of the metal line, dumped most of the transmission fluid on the road, and deprived me of second gear for the last two years I drove the car. ( Having only first and third gear in the automatic transmission was adequate, but I soon learned that the kickdown from third to first was a bit extreme.)

/ Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line
Thanks for the responses all, I appreciate it

/ Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line #8  
i wouldn't be using copper as a fuel line.... it will work harden from vibration and crack.. and who wants 10g of gas perched over and engine to let go?

brake line is a much better choice. flair tool kits from the chinese store are cheap.. or just buy a pre flaired brake line in appropiate length and use a tube bender and bend to fit. buying a lil too large is needed vs too small.. you can't stretch the line :) but you can bend an exagerated curve or loop in it to make up space...

i also don't reccomend rubber....

/ Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line #9  
i wouldn't be using copper as a fuel line.... it will work harden from vibration and crack.. and who wants 10g of gas perched over and engine to let go?

I agree. Steel good, copper bad.

/ Ferguson TO-20 Fuel Line #10  
While it's true that the factory fuel line was steel, copper will only crack if it's rigidly connected at one or both ends. If it simply floats between two rubber fuel lines, as I use it, it will last forever. I do admit, however, that rubber fuel lines are often only good for two or three years, so whenever I change my fuel filters I also change out the rubber lines.