MF 150 Oil Leak Repair

/ MF 150 Oil Leak Repair #1  

TnWV

Platinum Member
Tractor
2003 Zetor 4341 w/FEL, 1970 MF 150, 2012 JD X530
I have mentioned in several other threads that I have an MF150. I don't use it much so I have been neglecting an oil leak for several years, just adding oil each time I want to run it. Recently it has began to leak too much to risk it, literally a quart or two will run out in just an our or two of running it. I decided it was time to tear it down and replace every gasket on the engine and clean it up real good. My first thought was that the front and rear engine seals were the main cuplprits, as well as the timing gear cover, oil pan, and valve cover. Yesterday I used about a gallon of purple power and washed it up real good. After this, I found that the majority of the oil is indeed coming from the front engine seal and the oil pan. It doesn't appear that the rear main seal is leaking, but I'll be replacing it any way while its apart. I also found that the water pump is shot, so I'll be ording one this morning as well. Yesterday afternoon, I managed to get the Hood, bumper, fuel tank, radiator cover, and pretty much everything else off to give me access to the engine. I also got my engine hoist, and jack stands in place and ready to remove the front end so that I can drop the pan. I forgot my phone at the house when I did the dissassembly, so no pictures of that yet. This tractor belonged to my father, and I will eventually do a full restoration (hopefully as good as MasseyWV is doing on his 135), but for now I just want to get it in good operational condition. As is, the Perkins diesel runs very strong, and everything else on the tractor functions very well. I will be purchasing a new tiller in the next couple weeks and want to use this tractor to run it. I don't really have any specific questions for now, but I'm sure they will come as I get deeper into the repair, so I figured I would start a thread to share the experience and collect any advice/tips that anyone wants to offer. I hope to get it all back together within the next two weeks, but we will see how much time I have to work on it.

Here are some pictures before and after I cleaned it up. You can see on the last picture how much oil leaked out in about 30 minutes of sitting there running, and on the second to last picture you can kind of see how much oil is running down from the front of the engine.

Attachments

• Iphone Pics 767.jpg
    Iphone Pics 767.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 559
  • Iphone Pics 768.jpg
    Iphone Pics 768.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 258
  • Iphone Pics 769.jpg
    Iphone Pics 769.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 382
  • Iphone Pics 770.jpg
    Iphone Pics 770.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 305
  • Iphone Pics 771.jpg
    Iphone Pics 771.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 583
  • Iphone Pics 772.jpg
    Iphone Pics 772.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 312
  • Iphone Pics 773.jpg
    Iphone Pics 773.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Iphone Pics 774.jpg
    Iphone Pics 774.jpg
    756.4 KB · Views: 299
  • Iphone Pics 775.jpg
    Iphone Pics 775.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 260
  • Iphone Pics 776.jpg
    Iphone Pics 776.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 889
  • Iphone Pics 778.jpg
    Iphone Pics 778.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 190
  • Iphone Pics 779.jpg
    Iphone Pics 779.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Iphone Pics 780.jpg
    Iphone Pics 780.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Iphone Pics 781.jpg
    Iphone Pics 781.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Iphone Pics 782.jpg
    Iphone Pics 782.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 408
  • Iphone Pics 783.jpg
    Iphone Pics 783.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Iphone Pics 784.jpg
    Iphone Pics 784.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Iphone Pics 785.jpg
    Iphone Pics 785.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 335
  • Iphone Pics 786.jpg
    Iphone Pics 786.jpg
    684.1 KB · Views: 392
   / MF 150 Oil Leak Repair #2  
Nice machine

/ MF 150 Oil Leak Repair
Thanks Murphy!

So I got the front split from the tractor this evening and thought I was doing good until I realized I didn't disconnect the big steering rod. I couldn't get it loose for nothing. I got frustrated and quit and didn't think about taking a picture of it. I'll try again tomorrow.

/ MF 150 Oil Leak Repair #4  
   / MF 150 Oil Leak Repair
Thanks for pointing out that thread Massey. I believe I read some of it a couple of years ago, but forgot all about it. I hope to get the oil pan off this evening, and atleast get to where I can put the front end back on over the weekend. Still have to order a water pump and a couple of more gaskets.

/ MF 150 Oil Leak Repair #6  
Thanks for pointing out that thread Massey. I believe I read some of it a couple of years ago, but forgot all about it.

It's also very important to get the gasket mating surfaces as clean as possible, and they must be absolutely free of oil or grease. Brake cleaner is great to use for final cleaning.

/ MF 150 Oil Leak Repair
It's also very important to get the gasket mating surfaces as clean as possible, and they must be absolutely free of oil or grease. Brake cleaner is great to use for final cleaning.

I got the steering rod removed this evening and completely removed the front end. Then spent about an hour or so cleaning up the engine. There is much gunk that I am having to scrap, then scrub with a diesel soaked rag then also using brake cleaner. Finally got the front cleaned up. The front main engine seal was completely dry rotted and chunks of the rubber were gone. I can see why it was leaking so bad. I also got the pan supported with a floor jack and all of the bolts broke loose. I'll drop it down tomorrow evening hopefully and continue cleaning everything up.

/ MF 150 Oil Leak Repair #8  
I got the steering rod removed this evening and completely removed the front end. Then spent about an hour or so cleaning up the engine. There is much gunk that I am having to scrap, then scrub with a diesel soaked rag then also using brake cleaner. Finally got the front cleaned up. The front main engine seal was completely dry rotted and chunks of the rubber were gone. I can see why it was leaking so bad. I also got the pan supported with a floor jack and all of the bolts broke loose. I'll drop it down tomorrow evening hopefully and continue cleaning everything up.

Cleaning them up is a huge pain. I've found gunk engine degreaser works well, and oven cleaner is very effective on the tough stuff.

/ MF 150 Oil Leak Repair
Cleaning them up is a huge pain. I've found gunk engine degreaser works well, and oven cleaner is very effective on the tough stuff.

I've used gunk before, but Auto Zone was out when I stopped in on Monday, so I just got brake cleaner. Never thought of oven cleaner, may have to give that a try.

/ MF 150 Oil Leak Repair #10  
I've used gunk before, but Auto Zone was out when I stopped in on Monday, so I just got brake cleaner. Never thought of oven cleaner, may have to give that a try.

Oven cleaner works great, but avoid the cheap stuff. Trial and error revealed that Easy-Off foaming oven cleaner seemed to work best for me. Just spray it on and let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then give it a good scrubbing with a stiff brush before rinsing it off with a hose. A secondary wash with warm soapy water will remove any residual oven cleaner which might remain.