MF 135 Transmission from center housing split on I

/ MF 135 Transmission from center housing split on I #1  

klancf51

Silver Member
Tractor
CASE IH, Massey Ferguson, Ford
I have a MF 135 with 6-speed dual range transmission (without Multipower) and independent PTO (split torque clutch). I am ready to split the transmission from the center housing (drive axle) in order to replace the oil seals on the transmission input shaft. A quick question: is it necessary to remove the hydraulic top cover in order to complete (i.e. re-assemble) this split? I don't want to remove the top cover if not required, but if it is required, it seems that it would be easiest to remove it prior to the split. Thanks.

/ MF 135 Transmission from center housing split on I #2  
That cover is on the differential so you would not have to remove it to rebuild the trans. If you do have help cause it is heavy.

/ MF 135 Transmission from center housing split on I
Maybe my question wasn't clear. Let me restate: since my tractor has IPTO and I can't remove the left side cover from the center housing (differential) due to the hydraulic pipe connection for the IPTO control, is it that much easier to align the transmission & PTO driveshafts to their couplings with the top cover removed?

/ MF 135 Transmission from center housing split on I #4  
You need to split engine from the transmission to repair input shaft leaks. PTO shaft retainer has a seal and hollow PTO input shaft has a seal inside also. Both are removed from front of transmission, main shaft will stay in place on 6,8, and 12 speed MP models. Transmission only needs removed to take out the main shaft rearward on MP models for MP clutch pack repair. There are no seals at rear of transmission, so no need to split there.

/ MF 135 Transmission from center housing split on I
This is not true of all MF 135. In order to replace the transmission input shaft seals, my MF 135 requires that the transmission be split from both the engine AND the center housing. The input shaft bearing retainer housing (which contains the seals) cannot be removed unless the PTO input shaft is pushed backwards enough to allow the PTO drive gear to slide off of the PTO drive shaft and thus disengage from the PTO input shaft. Only then can the input shaft bearing retainer housing (and seals) be removed. My question was whether the top cover had to be removed to get the transmission and the center housing back together - there are two drive shafts that must be aligned to do this and it may be easier to take off the top cover than to fool around trying to align them through the PTO inspection cover and possibly breaking something. This is what I want to know.

/ MF 135 Transmission from center housing split on I #6  
Wow, sure doesn't sound like the 135 tranny I have worked on. The ones I worked on at MF dealership had a one piece PTO input shaft/gear that only came out the front.

/ MF 135 Transmission from center housing split on I #7  
G'day klancef51.
I think you may be reading that book of fairy tales again!!!!!!!!
If you have a Massey Ferguson 135 With a standard 6 or 8 speed transmission Listen to Dieseltech.
Split the tractor at the CLUTCH /GEARBOX ,drain the transmission oil, remove the clutch release bearing and fork and both shafts,remove four setscrews that hold the input housing in place mark the setscrew that has the copper washer under the head remove the housing ,remove the large circlip/retaining ring and knock the pto splined shaft on a piece of wood to separate,replace the input shaft seal ,then looking inside the pto drive gear there is the Transmission seal,Note before you remove it carefully measure the depth that it is set at so that you can install the new seal EXACTLY the same depth, Use a socket and extension bar as a tool to install the seal ,be careful ,make sure you start the seal square in the housing or you may be doing the job again ,should be able to do the job a lot quicker the second time around .
Happy days.
Hutch.

P.s. Refill with oil.

PPS.
I am not sure that Masseys made a 135 that only has Independent PTO WITHOUT Multipower!!!

/ MF 135 Transmission from center housing split on I #8  
With all due respect, the instructions don't work on my MF 135. There is a large gear right below the input housing and the input housing has a gear that drives that gear. Without removing the large gear below the input housing the input housing will not come out as the rearward portion has a cutout in the bottom so the gears can mesh. It looks to me like I need to pull the transmission from both front and back and remove the circlip that holds the shaft the ball bearing runs on so it can be pulled towards the back and let the gear drop down enough for it to clear the input housing. That shaft is splined onto the large gear below the input housing. BTW this is a 6 gear, deluxe with a live PTO, with a Perkins gas engine, at least I think that's what it is.

/ MF 135 Transmission from center housing split on I #9  
All the 135s we sold years ago where I worked were 12 speed MP models that the PTO input could be removed easily. That's why I forgot about the 6 speed models which take more time. Guess I should stick to diesel injection pumps like I do now!