Dropping oil pan on 1957 F40 with gas Z134 because of low oil pressure...

/ Dropping oil pan on 1957 F40 with gas Z134 because of low oil pressure... #1  

Texwing

Bronze Member
Tractor
HST3710, FZ2100
Hi, I need to drop the oil pan on my Z134 engine, and since bolts and nuts are everywhere and running in all directions, is there anything more to doing this that just taking all the fasteners out and removing it? I would hate for the tractor to break in half :)

I just brought this home and it runs perfect, the plugs look good, no problems-except low low oil pressure. I though the first gauge did not even work, replaced it and new one moves a bit, and increasing the revs barely moves it at all, almost gets out of red part of gauge but does not. No knocks or strange noises so far.

After research, I hope to find the relief valve spring is stuck or some issue like that.

Another question is that NAPA sold me a oil filter that barely fit, and I am not sure the spring is pushing the filter against the bock, dont know if washer is there at all-does the filter install have any potential affect on oil pressure? I will get that corrected soon as well.

Thanks in advance..

/ Dropping oil pan on 1957 F40 with gas Z134 because of low oil pressure... #2  
I don't think the oil filter will have any affect on pressure. From my experience main and rod bearings are the reason for low oil pressure, of course the pump can have problems. I'm not familiar with your tractor but usually the Massey's use the oil pan as part of the frame and while it is possible to drop the pan it's safer to separate at least the front end. Much of what I've learned specific to MF tractors is from member shona13 on this forum. Read post #8 here http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ntage/258591-mf-165-knocking.html#post3013103 and then decide the best route.

/ Dropping oil pan on 1957 F40 with gas Z134 because of low oil pressure...
I don't think the oil filter will have any affect on pressure. From my experience main and rod bearings are the reason for low oil pressure, of course the pump can have problems. I'm not familiar with your tractor but usually the Massey's use the oil pan as part of the frame and while it is possible to drop the pan it's safer to separate at least the front end. Much of what I've learned specific to MF tractors is from member shona13 on this forum. Read post #8 here http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ntage/258591-mf-165-knocking.html#post3013103 and then decide the best route.

Thanks good post especially on supporting tractor and loosening front end. I hope this is just oil pump stuff, tractor runs great and does not knock. oil pressure does not move regardless of rpm, even worn engines in my experience show some psi movement. thanks!

/ Dropping oil pan on 1957 F40 with gas Z134 because of low oil pressure... #4  
Hi, I need to drop the oil pan on my Z134 engine, and since bolts and nuts are everywhere and running in all directions, is there anything more to doing this that just taking all the fasteners out and removing it? I would hate for the tractor to break in half :)

I just brought this home and it runs perfect, the plugs look good, no problems-except low low oil pressure. I though the first gauge did not even work, replaced it and new one moves a bit, and increasing the revs barely moves it at all, almost gets out of red part of gauge but does not. No knocks or strange noises so far.

After research, I hope to find the relief valve spring is stuck or some issue like that.

Another question is that NAPA sold me a oil filter that barely fit, and I am not sure the spring is pushing the filter against the bock, dont know if washer is there at all-does the filter install have any potential affect on oil pressure? I will get that corrected soon as well.

Thanks in advance..

Did you check the oil pressure line while the engine is running? It could have air in it thus making the gauge somewhat inoperative. The manual says to loosen the line at the gauge till you see oil coming out then tighten. Did you check the OP line disconnected on both end to make sure you don't have a clogged line. Replacing the line, you will need 1/4 copper line and a double flaring toolkit.

The filter should fit snugly. You may have the wrong filter. www.agcopartsbook.com doesn't even list the tractor. There is a 40 and a 40E but they are not Continental engines. There are pictures of F40's on the net, but not much information. I &A sells a service manual for one but those manuals are notorious for lacking information.

Just me two cents. I would exhaust all options before I tore into the engine. -kid

Did you check the oil pressure line while the engine is running? It could have air in it thus making the gauge somewhat inoperative. The manual says to loosen the line at the gauge till you see oil coming out then tighten. Did you check the OP line disconnected on both end to make sure you don't have a clogged line.

I am dropping everything to bleed the oil line; I dont expect to be that lucky but it is easy to try, that would be a miracle of sorts-I will report back, thanks.

Did you check the oil pressure line while the engine is running? It could have air in it thus making the gauge somewhat inoperative. The manual says to loosen the line at the gauge till you see oil coming out then tighten. Did you check the OP line disconnected on both end to make sure you don't have a clogged line.

I am dropping everything to bleed the oil line; I dont expect to be that lucky but it is easy to try, that would be a miracle of sorts-I will report back, thanks.

OK no miracle today. preparing to pull pan. yuck. bled oil gauge lines, oil streamed out, made no difference. Might just change out pump while in there, where is a good source?