Mismatched rear wheels, what to do?

/ Mismatched rear wheels, what to do? #1  

Texwing

Bronze Member
Tractor
HST3710, FZ2100
Hi, the F40 Massey I brought home has great rubber, but is mismatched on rear, a 12.4 x 28 and and 11.2 x 28. Rims and wheels the same, but the larger tire is way taller-maybe 4 inches-than the smaller tire.

Is this destructive or hard on the machine? What is the stock size? (although I prefer the larger on there) Tractor will never be worked hard, I have a newer tractor for that. Any reason someone would mismatch on purpose? The rubber is new enough that it is puzzling.

Last question: I find some tires mounted on rims, without the inner wheel part, 2 piece wheels i suppose. Do the rims of 28 inch wheels tend to interchange pretty well, or are ford rims likely no tgoing to fit a massy wheel? thanks in advance.

/ Mismatched rear wheels, what to do? #2  
Ican't see how that would be any good for your differential.

/ Mismatched rear wheels, what to do?
Ican't see how that would be any good for your differential.

Yes I know thats why I am trying to figure out how to fix it without spending more on a tire than I did on the tractor! No telling how long its been used that way, plus it look like ****. The 12.4 x 28 sure looks better on the tractor, but It seems the 11.2 x 28 is far more common.

/ Mismatched rear wheels, what to do? #4  
See if you can find a used one

/ Mismatched rear wheels, what to do? #5  
Not good but i am also guilty . I have a tractor that was on 18.4 26's and one blew out so i put a 16.9 26 combine rear wheel on there to finnish the day out .....that was 7 years ago and it's still on there :)

/ Mismatched rear wheels, what to do? #6  
Might be a great setup for some of my hillsides...always keep the small tire on the uphill side. Just joking!!!!!

Don't use the differential lock!

/ Mismatched rear wheels, what to do? #7  
Unless you have MFWD or a limited slip diff, I don't see a long term problem. That is the whole purpose of the differential.

I do agree that using the diff lock might be problematic... like being unable to unlock it on level ground or running straight ahead.

/ Mismatched rear wheels, what to do? #8  
Yes I know thats why I am trying to figure out how to fix it without spending more on a tire than I did on the tractor! No telling how long its been used that way, plus it look like ****. The 12.4 x 28 sure looks better on the tractor, but It seems the 11.2 x 28 is far more common.

Specs for a F40

Tractor Specs for most tractors.

Would you drive around all the time with one of those emergency spares mounted on the front? If your rubber is in really good shape, you might be able to work out a trade-in for one of proper size. Is the tires filled with liquid? That adds to cost changing one out. Extremely heavy and dangerous for one person to deal with. If your rims are matching, then you should be using matched tires. If your rims are not matched, fix that as well. Bite the bullet and fix it right. Your tractor will love you for it. -kid

View attachment 310232

/ Mismatched rear wheels, what to do? #9  
This is a theoretical problem, not a real one. And the looks of it might offend your sense of aesthetics. Make sure the rear axle has clean, fresh lube in it and you aren't likely to have troubles. if the tractor cost about what one new tire would, you aren't risking much.

Mismatches rear tires are a non-issue if you have concerns about low engine oil pressure. Fix the critical stuff first. Nice, pretty matched tires aren't very impressive when you have a connecting rod hanging out of the side of the engine block.

Last edited:
   / Mismatched rear wheels, what to do?
This is a theoretical problem, not a real one. And the looks of it might offend your sense of aesthetics. Make sure the rear axle has clean, fresh lube in it and you aren't likely to have troubles. if the tractor cost about what one new tire would, you aren't risking much.

Mismatches rear tires are a non-issue if you have concerns about low engine oil pressure. Fix the critical stuff first. Nice, pretty matched tires aren't very impressive when you have a connecting rod hanging out of the side of the engine block.

The tractor is really very good for its age, so its worth saving. And yes until the oil pressure mystery is solved the tires take a back seat. As far as rod hanging out of block, that would be an improvement for me-I had a 2 stroke jet ski come apart (only inches from prized body parts) and that rod like a metal weed whacker cut the entire block in two pieces, impressive destruction.