Pan is off Z134 Gas engine on Massey f40, now what?

/ Pan is off Z134 Gas engine on Massey f40, now what? #1  

Texwing

Bronze Member
Tractor
HST3710, FZ2100
OK, due to low oil pressure i dropped the pan on the Z134 engine. Engine runs great, spark plug reads are good, does not smoke, no knocks, and all indications are its a good mid life engine except for low oil pressure. When engine starts, oil pressure gauge barely lifts off, does not quite get out of red, and increasing rpm has virtually no effect. Second oil gauge I have tried. I have pulled the spring and parts from relief valve, the piston seems free but will not easily come out with spring. Spring lenght and spec is ok.

So, its spring and taxes are due and I have no time so I need to do what I can and get it back together until next winter.
Do the oil pumps themselves wear out on these? The rod end play seems good, although I might be detecting a bit of up and down movement.

My first thought is to replace oil pump, and/or the rod bearings, and put it back together and see-your thoughts are appreciated.

/ Pan is off Z134 Gas engine on Massey f40, now what?
I pulled a rod bearing and it looked pretty worn, but not eaten up. its marked 3581 B010N not sure by bold letters will show up, so its 3581 B010N
where the 3 and the 010 is stamped much deeper, I thing this means its .010 over, does anyone know this is right? thanks.

/ Pan is off Z134 Gas engine on Massey f40, now what? #3  
I pulled a rod bearing and it looked pretty worn, but not eaten up. its marked 3581 B010N not sure by bold letters will show up, so its 3581 B010N
where the 3 and the 010 is stamped much deeper, I thing this means its .010 over, does anyone know this is right? thanks.

I have a Z-145 and I assume yours is similar. If so, you can remove oil pump by removing to crankshaft bolts and get a rebuild kit. It should be inexpensive. I think you are right about the .010.

Thanks I think i am on that path to rebuild oil pump and put new rod bearings on it, that has to be a help.

/ Pan is off Z134 Gas engine on Massey f40, now what? #5  
Check all the bearings before you order parts, don't want any surprises!
90cummins

OK. just got all rod bearings out, all labelled the same 3581 B010N which I suppose I will have to assume is .010 over, wish I had a better feel for that. Pulled oil pump and their is some scoring on the inside cover plate, and some slop between the gears, don't know how tight they should be.

/ Pan is off Z134 Gas engine on Massey f40, now what? #7  
If you can't cross the bearing number you should mic the journals to be on the safe side.

If you can't cross the bearing number you should mic the journals to be on the safe side.

OK i have digital slide calipers, are those accurate enough to "mic: it or do I need something higher class. Also need to know what to do to prep the journals, should i just make some passes with emory cloth?

/ Pan is off Z134 Gas engine on Massey f40, now what? #9  
OK i have digital slide calipers, are those accurate enough to "mic: it or do I need something higher class. Also need to know what to do to prep the journals, should i just make some passes with emory cloth?

Slide calipers readouts can vary based on the user more so than a typical mic from my experience with both. With a mic you can check to see if they are out of round but a caliper might work. In the old days dad would often by guessing get new bearings to make up for journal wear. Not sure I would using anything to polish journals that would remove metal. If they need polishing it may need to be sent to a shop?

/ Pan is off Z134 Gas engine on Massey f40, now what? #10  
When I bought my salvage crank we used slide callipers to confirm it was standard, worked just fine