Massey 178 starter ring replacement

/ Massey 178 starter ring replacement #1  

mick101

Tractor
MF 178
Hi there. The starter ring on the flywheel of my MF 178 is badly worn and needs replacement. The tractor will have to be split and the new ring fitted. While I will not be doing this myself does anyone know how many hours of labour I should expect to be charged for by my mechanic. Many thanks.:)

/ Massey 178 starter ring replacement #2  
Is this a UK tractor?

/ Massey 178 starter ring replacement #3  
Welcome from Ohio

/ Massey 178 starter ring replacement #5  
Yes it is. Now living in Ireland.

Just a guess Mick. But probably take no more than six shop hours or less. With the right equipment, It wouldn't take as long as you think to split a tractor. The gear ring is probably heated to remove and install. If the flywheel needs resurfacing would add more. They are going to look at your clutch too. -kid

/ Massey 178 starter ring replacement #6  
Just a guess Mick. But probably take no more than six shop hours or less. With the right equipment, It wouldn't take as long as you think to split a tractor. The gear ring is probably heated to remove and install. If the flywheel needs resurfacing would add moe going to look atyour clutch too. -kid
The ring gear is removed by partially cutting through it and then chisel splitting it with a cold chisel. The idea is to not cut the flywheel. Alternative is to flame-heat a portion of the ring gear and then carefully tap it off the flywheel.
To install, heat ring gear to 475 F. Orient the ring gear such that the lead-in side of the teeth is toward the front of the flywheel, then lay the ring gear into position, being sure that the ring gear is fully against the flywheel shoulder. Allow to cool. Good call on clutch (don't forget release & pilot bearings) - the incremental labor cost for these is small at this point of disassembly.