Massey 135 Power Steering Leak

/ Massey 135 Power Steering Leak #1  

Forester Massey

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 135
I filled up the reservoir on my power steering, then started the tractor and found it to be leaking out of (what appears) an air relief valve on steering box below steering wheel? When I rechecked reservoir it was empty.

The bolt that hold the cap on reservoir was leaking air and some fluid as it needs a rubber washer. I can fix that but the other has me baffled.

/ Massey 135 Power Steering Leak #2  
I filled up the reservoir on my power steering, then started the tractor and found it to be leaking out of (what appears) an air relief valve on steering box below steering wheel? When I rechecked reservoir it was empty.

The bolt that hold the cap on reservoir was leaking air and some fluid as it needs a rubber washer. I can fix that but the other has me baffled.
Forrester, check this thread I found here. It sounds exactly like your problem. -kid
Power Steering leak

/ Massey 135 Power Steering Leak
Forrester, check this thread I found here. It sounds exactly like your problem. -kid
Power Steering leak

Thanks Kid:

I will begin reading up on it in shop manual. I also noticed fluid coming out of both control arms where they enter steering box.

This tractor is really starting to disappoint me. I have spent about $3,000 rebuilding and replacing lots of worn out stuff. That does not count all the hours working on it. And as of today I have the following problems.

1. Power steering needs rebuild
2. Hydraulics do not work.
3. valve train still not getting sufficient lubrication
4. Small radiator leak. The radiator is new.

/ Massey 135 Power Steering Leak #4  
Thanks Kid:

I will begin reading up on it in shop manual. I also noticed fluid coming out of both control arms where they enter steering box.

This tractor is really starting to disappoint me. I have spent about $3,000 rebuilding and replacing lots of worn out stuff. That does not count all the hours working on it. And as of today I have the following problems.

1. Power steering needs rebuild
2. Hydraulics do not work.
3. valve train still not getting sufficient lubrication
4. Small radiator leak. The radiator is new.

Considering what a NEW tractor of it's would cost I think you still have wiggle room. Plus look at all the knowledge you've gained working on it. I ca break down stuff on mine in minutes that in the beginning would take an hour or so. Hang in there and don't get discouraged. -kid

/ Massey 135 Power Steering Leak #5  

All older tractors have their needs, as do even many newer tractors. But once you cross that magical repair hurdle, you will have a great tractor for well under what a new one costs with little to no annual repairs. Good Luck.

/ Massey 135 Power Steering Leak #6  
If your 135 is like mine, I had that Orbital valve off several times and replaced every O-ring and was not able to get it to stop leaking, so I bought some Barbells and now my arms are big enough, I don't need the power steering. Mine seemed to leak out the top where the actuator from the steering wheel goes in.

/ Massey 135 Power Steering Leak #8  
All older tractors have their needs, as do even many newer tractors. But once you cross that magical repair hurdle, you will have a great tractor for well under what a new one costs with little to no annual repairs. Good Luck.
Forrester, it's kind of diappointing thinking I'll be doing a just a few repairs and get this baby out in the field. Sometimes the reapirs are simple and some are quite complex. I used mine when I bought a total of ten hours before I started tearing into it. Then that's when I kept finding a bunch of things that wasn't right and needing fixed. Now that it WAS all back together I decided to redo a couple of things. I didn't like the paint job on the hood. Repainted. Done. Adding a different headlight switch. Although I doubt I'll ever use it after dark. Adding a safety feature to the radiator fan which I'll explain later. I've gotten really good at dismantling the tractor for various reasons. In my opinion don't get down in the dumps. Just tackle the problem and move on. You will be more than proud of what you've done when it's over. and tractor smart too. :drink: -kid

/ Massey 135 Power Steering Leak #9  

Forrester, the I&T manual although brief compared to AGCO's has quite a bit of info on the PS on the 135. It might be worth looking at. -kid

/ Massey 135 Power Steering Leak
Thanks Kid. I don't know what the I & T manual is so spell it out for me and I will look at it. Right now, my pressing issue is getting oil to valve train. I was getting just a wee bit but not enough. I have everything lined up on rocker arm, so I know its correct. I removed rocker arm and spark plugs and cranked her over for about a minute. Oil pressure got to 30lbs but never came up and squirted out head. I do not know what to expect since I am just cranking it over. It seems to me some oil should show its face.

If I got the head gasket on wrong, would it block the hole? The shop manual says the gasket is stamped top and bottom but I do not think my Tisco one was. I believe I got it on correct but not positive.