TO35 Engine Braking switch

/ TO35 Engine Braking switch #1  

Darell1

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 40 Industrial
I am a new owner of a TO35. This tractor has a gas engine. On the dash is a switch that says Engine Braking, High, Low. It has a little lever to select the high or low. I am not sure what it does and I have asked several of my friends that have TO35's and they do not have that switch on their tractors. Any help???

/ TO35 Engine Braking switch #2  
Thats a multipower shift. It has to be in high for engine brarking. Meaning if you go down hill in low the transmission will free wheel and you will go reallt fast. Ha. Just keep it in high for going down slopes.

/ TO35 Engine Braking switch #3  
pj, are you saying that switch is like a jake brake on a semi truck? on a TO35? Never heard of it and I have a TO35.

/ TO35 Engine Braking switch #4  
pj, are you saying that switch is like a jake brake on a semi truck? on a TO35? Never heard of it and I have a TO35.

No its not like a jake brake. The multipower system is a shift on the go system that you do not need to use the clutch when shifting. It can be used to start out in low and shift to high to increase forward or backward speed. It can also increase pulling power or slow the tractor down when needed when shifted from high to low. The internal gearing has an over running clutch that will allow the tractor to freewheel downhill when in low. In high multipower this over running clutch is locked by a hydraulic clutch and will stop the tractor from freewheeling and allow engine braking. Its a complicated system to explain and there is more to it that I can't explain but this is the easiest explanation I can give you right now. Not all TO35s have multipower.

/ TO35 Engine Braking switch
No its not like a jake brake. The multipower system is a shift on the go system that you do not need to use the clutch when shifting. It can be used to start out in low and shift to high to increase forward or backward speed. It can also increase pulling power or slow the tractor down when needed when shifted from high to low. The internal gearing has an over running clutch that will allow the tractor to freewheel downhill when in low. In high multipower this over running clutch is locked by a hydraulic clutch and will stop the tractor from freewheeling and allow engine braking. Its a complicated system to explain and there is more to it that I can't explain but this is the easiest explanation I can give you right now. Not all TO35s have multipower.

This is got to be the best forum around!!!!:laughing: I really appreciate the quick response and the information to solve all of my questions and problems. Thanks again for the replies to the Multipower System.
I guess I do have one more question about the Multipower System. Was this a factory item or was it a dealer add-on?
Darell

/ TO35 Engine Braking switch #6  
Factory option

/ TO35 Engine Braking switch
Hey pjbci

Thanks again for the super quick response!!!!
Darell