My MF 35

/ My MF 35 #1  
Tractor
MF 35
So I joined this forum when I started researching buying this tractor. This tractor was what was in my budget, since I didn't want a monthly payment. Have since purchased it, tweaked a bit, and have been running it pretty hard. And have recently inquired about some issues. This is my first tractor and I'm using it to help me grow vegetables for market. So thought I would just post some pics.

So I thought this was a '64 for some reason but just looked up the serial and it appears to be a '61. It's got Multipower and two stage clutch and live and ground speed PTO control. It's got a Perkins 3cyl, and from the serial I guess we can assume it has the A3.152.

This tractor has surprised me with it's power. I was chisel plowing with the two shanks in the picture. I only got two because they say you should allow around 15 hp per shank. The tractor is purportedly around 38, so I figured go with two shanks not to stress out the 50 year old horse, well I'm pretty certain it could handle another shank. It pulled up a huge rock and flipped up to the surface and barely hesitated, probably 3 foot diameter "boulder." I was trucking along in 3 low too. This tractor is quite beastly for it's size.

Yeah hard to start when it's cold, and the lift arms stutter, but if it's warm out everything functions perfectly.

I'm also borrowing a friends mid 90's Kubota, the bucket, power steering and 4wd is nice...BUT...it doesn't have the kind of soul that the massy has when I fire it up. Sometimes I feel like I'm riding with the ghosts of farmers gone by. I really like this tractor, my neighbor (he's in his mid 60's who was born and raised in his farm house next door) came over and told me that he made his first money when he was a teenager plowing with a tractor just like this. He said when he was a kid there was Massy's like this everywhere. He's got a 165 and a barn full other other misc old tractors but comes over and likes to watch the old 35 run, I think it's nostalgic for him. I ran into another guy down the road who said he has 3 of these out in the field. I'm in my early 30's but I really like the old vintage stuff that performs well.

8691071874_520db547b0_z.jpg

8691072504_c551297b1c_z.jpg

New alternator, a friend helped me wire it up.

8689954319_2247b6f94d_z.jpg

Changed rear tire spacing to 5 foot centers. 3 point hitch tool bar and chisels from Buckeye tractor in Ohio.

8691075432_0303d52f05_z.jpg

8689947225_054c44c516_z.jpg

8690015909_724f728029_z.jpg

Last edited:
   / My MF 35 #3  
Very nice Machine

/ My MF 35 #4  
Very nice find. Check your tranny fluid. If it starting to look coffee brown it might have water in it and time for a change, which is common for tractors left outside for any length of time. Usually leaks in through the shift boots straight into the tranny. It might help your lifting of the hydro arms. I got my eye on a 135 diesel for sale not too far from my house. Take good care of that 35 and it will serve you well. -kid

/ My MF 35
Very nice find. Check your tranny fluid. If it starting to look coffee brown it might have water in it and time for a change, which is common for tractors left outside for any length of time. Usually leaks in through the shift boots straight into the tranny. It might help your lifting of the hydro arms. I got my eye on a 135 diesel for sale not too far from my house. Take good care of that 35 and it will serve you well. -kid

Hey thanks! I actually did change the hydraulic fluid last month, it didn't look so great. I did my research, based on that seemed like 90 weight mineral oil was the correct choice, had to go to two tractor supply's to get enough!

Peeking inside the fill hole the gears looking good and there was almost nothing attached to the magnetized drain plugs.

I'm still trying to figure out if there is a filter in there somewhere..., maybe where the dip stick is...?

/ My MF 35 #6  
Hey thanks! I actually did change the hydraulic fluid last month, it didn't look so great. I did my research, based on that seemed like 90 weight mineral oil was the correct choice, had to go to two tractor supply's to get enough!

Peeking inside the fill hole the gears looking good and there was almost nothing attached to the magnetized drain plugs.

I'm still trying to figure out if there is a filter in there somewhere..., maybe where the dip stick is...?
The hydro filter can be accessed thru the PTO lever cover. There should be a wire securing the top to keep it from unscrewing. Use caution when removing the filter and bring the bottom filter housing out with the filter to keep from dumping filtered debris back into the sump. Be sure to not overfill the tranny or it could leak out of old seals. If you overfill, pull a plug and drain down the the correct mark on the dipstick. If you have a regular leak then check your fluids often. The manual should cover replacement of the filter or google it. It's well documented on the net from many sites. Attached is a picture with the hydro cover off where you can see the pump and the filter location. This has to be done mostly by FEEL but easily accessed. The picture shows how it is located from the PTO lever cover.
View attachment 315338

/ My MF 35 #7  
Enjoyed the pics, thanks for sharing

/ My MF 35 #8  
Welcome and thanks for the pictures. You never know your neighbor could of used your very tractor when he was young. Have a good evening.

v/r

Mike

/ My MF 35 #9  
nice tractor. I totally agree with you about the "soul" of a tractor. I got our MF35 I am using from our family farm when my dad passed away. It proved to be too much for my mom and little brother to get to know all the 'quirks' of an old tractor and it's limitations...so they got a M7040 kubota for farm work and parked this one. The new Kubota is an awesome tractor, but just don't have the same feel as the old Massey. When I'm brush hogging I can almost feel like I am riding with previous ghosts of those who drove this tractor before me.

/ My MF 35 #10  
Nice looking tractor. Loved the pics. I just purchased a MF 35 myself, same specs as yours. I was brush hogging today for the first time, and was very impressed with the power of the 3-cyl perkins. Congratulations.

Once you own a Massey, seeing Red takes on a whole new meaning.