My New to Me Ferguson 35

/ My New to Me Ferguson 35 #1  

Last Chance

Tractor
1955 Ferguson 35
So I have a new to me Ferguson 35, 1955 Vintage, has the Massey-HArris-Ferguson tag on it, and a Davidson or Donaldson 102 Loader.

Got it with the 4 banger gasser engine, the fellow I got it from had it rebuilt with reciepts, so it runs great. Has the calcium filled tires, a few dents, but it goes.

My question is this, this thing is a beast to steer, even when using the brakes. The rear wheels are reversed (To give the Tractor a wider stance). If I put them back to stock will this thing drive any better?

Thanks in advance..

/ My New to Me Ferguson 35 #2  
That loader on the front is whats killing you. I doubt swapping the tires back will help at all. We have the same MHF TO35 that you describe. It belonged to my grandfather. When he got in his 80's we put single rib front tires on it to make it easier to steer. They tear up the grass in a sharp turn but made it much easier to turn. Ours doesnt have a loader tho. Dont know if this helps you at all but it worked for us.
Im not positive but i think they are call F1 front tires.

/ My New to Me Ferguson 35 #3  
put something heavy on the 3 point.

/ My New to Me Ferguson 35 #4  
Put a power steering kit on it.

/ My New to Me Ferguson 35 #5  
The front end loading has shifted the Center of Gravity to the extreme front. Loaded rear tires help anchor the rear end, but the tractor is still frontend heavy. Nothing in the way of tires or wheelbase is going to change that. Although a wider wheelbase will give a more stable effect on slopes. Groved front wheels in a must. As Murphy1244 mentioned weighting the rearend would help shift the COG towards the rear. If your using it mostly as a FIL then you could make a mounting for the three point hitch to add weights such as they use in the front as ballast. A bar going between the lift arms thich enough with hitch mounting points and then simply hang the correct number of weights on it till you get a managable effect desired. This would be way cheaper than trying to fabricate PS for the front. Just remeber it is going to take considerable weight to counter a fully loaded FIL. It might require something as big as a 5-6 ft brush cutter hanging on the back to get the correct leverage.
The problem is achieving balance. Adding weights to the 3 point hitch may or may not work that close to the tractor. Moving the same weight further back is the way to achieve balance. I've seen guys make a 3PH platform with two water (totally filled) loaded 55 gal barrels = 950+ lbs on it to counter a FIL. -kid

/ My New to Me Ferguson 35 #6  
I have a TO35 too, it doesn't have power steering, so therefore it never will steer easy like one with power steering. It is what it is. You'll learn to "steer on the move". It turns easier if the tractor is moving, even slightly, or rocking the tractor back n forth if moving isn't feasable or possible. Turning while dead stopped is a monster.

/ My New to Me Ferguson 35 #7  
G'day have you checked the front end to make sure that the thrust brgs and king pins are all good and well greased?

Jon

/ My New to Me Ferguson 35 #8  
My TO-35 also has a front loader , but to make steering easier I never attach the bucket unless I intend to use it. I also always keep a scraper blade or bush hog mower mounted on the back . Don't try to put too much weight on the 3 point hitch, or you can break parts. ( I know.) With a loaded front bucket attached, it does become a bear to steer, but is still within reason. As a comparison, I just think about my neighbor's John Deere 440I tractor with a front loader bucket. His power steering is broken, and the only way to turn the front wheels is to lift the front end of the tractor off of the ground with the front loader (double acting hydraulic cylinders) and then turn the steering wheel !