Not getting oil to valve train on Massey 135

/ Not getting oil to valve train on Massey 135 #1  

Forester Massey

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 135
Hopefully someone on here can help me pinpoint whats going on. I recently rebuilt my 135 continental engine. The rebuild kit came with a rebuild for oil pump. I had the machine shop do the oil pump. I have good pressure, 40lbs. However, its not making it to valve train.

I have pulled the valve train off and removed the spark plugs. I can crank the engine over for a minute or longer and get up to 30lbs of pressure. Yet, nothing comes up top. When I stop cranking I get a little girgling sound just briefly. I have blown 130lbs of pressure through the oil hole and it appears clear. I feel air returning though push rod galley.

I am at a loss of what to do. Any ideas? Everyone who I talk to says I should have oil coming up top while cranking. But I am not getting any while its running either.

/ Not getting oil to valve train on Massey 135 #2  
Hopefully someone on here can help me pinpoint whats going on. I recently rebuilt my 135 continental engine. The rebuild kit came with a rebuild for oil pump. I had the machine shop do the oil pump. I have good pressure, 40lbs. However, its not making it to valve train.

I have pulled the valve train off and removed the spark plugs. I can crank the engine over for a minute or longer and get up to 30lbs of pressure. Yet, nothing comes up top. When I stop cranking I get a little girgling sound just briefly. I have blown 130lbs of pressure through the oil hole and it appears clear. I feel air returning though push rod galley.

I am at a loss of what to do. Any ideas? Everyone who I talk to says I should have oil coming up top while cranking. But I am not getting any while its running either.

If memory serves me correctly,the old Continentals oiled the rocker through a drilled hole from the main gallery up through the rear main cam bearing and up to the head through drilled hole under the rear rocker. Remove the rocker and blow compressed air though the hole and see if it is plugged.

/ Not getting oil to valve train on Massey 135 #3  
or maybe the bearing was not installed right.

/ Not getting oil to valve train on Massey 135
or maybe the bearing was not installed right.

Jerry, I have already tried what you mentioned. Murphy, you may be on to something. I felt like I got the bearings right but that makes more sense than anything I have heard. Specifically, what bearing?

/ Not getting oil to valve train on Massey 135 #5  
I bet you have a main or cam bearing wrong , does anybody have a oil flow chart? Shona?

/ Not getting oil to valve train on Massey 135 #8  

If memory serves me correctly the cam shaft does not have any replaceable bearing that could be turned incorrectly. The cam rides on the machined bores in the engine block. I checked Agco parts books and could not find any bearing on the cam. I think you answered your own question at the end of your thread "135 massey power steering leak" you questioned whether you had the head gasget turned upside down.

/ Not getting oil to valve train on Massey 135
Thanks everyone for your help. I can easily blow air down into the head. The air returns up through the pushrod holes. I am leaning to think that it may be a bearing. I just have to figure out which one to check. I felt like I got the bearings right but maybe not. I have a friend coming by on Thursday to give me his opinion before I start taking things further apart. Ready to get it done and out of the garage.

/ Not getting oil to valve train on Massey 135 #10  
Thanks everyone for your help. I can easily blow air down into the head. The air returns up through the pushrod holes. I am leaning to think that it may be a bearing. I just have to figure out which one to check. I felt like I got the bearings right but maybe not. I have a friend coming by on Thursday to give me his opinion before I start taking things further apart. Ready to get it done and out of the garage.
There is an oil channel that runs from the front of the engine block to the rear and is plugged on both ends which is fed by the oil pump. The rear plug is in the clutch housing and the front plug is behind the timing cover. The oil for each main bearing is cross drilled into this long channel and the crank shaft is cross drilled between the mains to feed each rod bearing. There should be a verticle channel drilled coming out the top of the block to feed the lifters in the head. Even if a bearing is turned it should not affect the oil to the lifters and only the individual bearing and even that I don't think is possible. I don't remember where the oil pressure gage is hooked to, would is be possible that the front main channel plug was left out and sufficient oil pressure is not getting to any main or rod bearing in addition to the lifters. If the oil pressure gage is close enough to the pump, it could register pressure there and be low in the rest of the circut. This information is based on memory of rebuilding my engine four years ago and I may have forgotten something in that time. I hope you find it quickly and have not damaged any of your hard work.