Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    xyz

Default Re: MF 65 owner - new member in South West France

Quote Originally Posted by oilystairs View Post
    Thanks for the input - i have recently had the hydraulic pump out of the tractor and while looking under the seat, i saw the PTO lever in action and it seemed to function normally. In engine position, the PTO turns while in neutral with the clutch in or out (at a speed related to the engine speed) and will turn a light implement like a haybob but will not turn a baler. Is there a PTO clutch system that might have oil on the plates?
    sounds like the pto side of the main clutch is either worn out or out of adjustment. This is the second stage of the two stage clutch.

Tractor
    MF65 Mk2

Got you and i think the second stage PTO clutch may be gone because the previous owner used the tractor mainly for running an irrigation pump so it may have had many hours working only in "pulley" mode. Another small job to add to my list!

Tractor
    MF 165

Hallo oilystairs. I don't know if you have already have all the answers regarding your MF 65. The 65 has a double clutch which consists of the transmission and pto clutches. The clutch pedal travels through 2 stages. If adjusted correctly, about halfway down it disengages the transmission. Up to that point the pedal pressure should be fairly light. Further down there will be an increase in pedal pressure. With the pedal depressed completely down, the pto shaft and hydraulic pump will be disengaged. When you repair the hydraulic pump, you will see that the pump is driven by the front half of the pto shaft. By moving the pto lever backwards to the 'engine pto' position, the rear half of the pto is engaged. With the pto engaged the tractor can be stopped or driven while the pto remains running. This type of pto is called a 'live pto'. With the pto lever moved forward to the 'ground pto' position, the pto shaft will only turn when the tractor is moving. In this position the pto is driven off the diff pinion and is independent of the engine. In this case the pto can only be engaged with the tractor stopped. In this position the pto speed is proportional to the tractor's or ground speed.
    The 65 is an excellent tractor for baling. I think you have a problem with your baler if the pto cannot turn it. If the size of your baler is within the power range of your tractor, you should not have any problems. We also used to bale with a 65 with the 56 hp 203 Perkins and it pulled a New Holland baler. Later we also had a 165 with the 60 hp 212 Perkins. Both tractors did this job easily.
    Regards.
    Epie de Jongh. Paarl, Western Cape, South Africa

Tractor
    MF65 Mk2

Thanks for all the advice.

I have now replaced all the seals and piston rings on the main 3 point lift ram, the hydraulic pump is fully refurbed with rings and seals throughout and i am now replacing the water pump, hoses and cleaning the radiator thoroughly in time for hay making.

Last job will be the PTO clutch.

The old girl needed some TLC and i am learning loads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12