MF 65 owner - new member in South West France

/ MF 65 owner - new member in South West France #1  

oilystairs

Tractor
MF65 Mk2
Hey, just to introduce myself - we are a small holder family of 4 in South West France - trying to live as self sufficiently as possible.

I purchased a MF65 around 2 years ago and i am really happy with it. My hydraulics were getting a bit weak so i have split the tractor and i am replacing all the joints and o-rings in the pump. I just need to get new piston rings and then i will rebuild it and put it back in. Fingers crossed it will work ok. If this doesn't improve the 3 point lift, next place to look is at the main lift piston under the seat i guess?

One question - the PTO has two positions - one will turn the PTO when i drive forward so i use this position for example for cutting grass with the mower. The other position will spin the PTO even if i don't drive forward but this position doesn't have much torque so when i wanted to try out a baler without moving the tractor forward, it didn't have enough torque to turn the baler mechanism. Is it normal that you have to be driving forward to turn the PTO with force on a MF65?

Thanks

/ MF 65 owner - new member in South West France #2  
Welcome to TractorByNet.

/ MF 65 owner - new member in South West France #3  
:welcome: from Ohio

/ MF 65 owner - new member in South West France #4  
Hey, just to introduce myself - we are a small holder family of 4 in South West France - trying to live as self sufficiently as possible.

I purchased a MF65 around 2 years ago and i am really happy with it. My hydraulics were getting a bit weak so i have split the tractor and i am replacing all the joints and o-rings in the pump. I just need to get new piston rings and then i will rebuild it and put it back in. Fingers crossed it will work ok. If this doesn't improve the 3 point lift, next place to look is at the main lift piston under the seat i guess?

One question - the PTO has two positions - one will turn the PTO when i drive forward so i use this position for example for cutting grass with the mower. The other position will spin the PTO even if i don't drive forward but this position doesn't have much torque so when i wanted to try out a baler without moving the tractor forward, it didn't have enough torque to turn the baler mechanism. Is it normal that you have to be driving forward to turn the PTO with force on a MF65?

Thanks

You have a two stage clutch. 1. Push half way down forward motion stops PTO still going. 2. Push clutch all the way down forward motion and PTO stops.

/ MF 65 owner - new member in South West France
You have a two stage clutch. 1. Push half way down forward motion stops PTO still going. 2. Push clutch all the way down forward motion and PTO stops.

That answers my question - i'll try it as soon as the tractor is running again. Can you get the PTO spinning before moving off? Thanks

/ MF 65 owner - new member in South West France #6  
Yes Just push the clutch halfway and you get PTO with no forward movement.

/ MF 65 owner - new member in South West France #7  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the Massey Ferguson Classic/Vintage forum. :)

OK thanks. By the way i have a photocopied service manual for a MF65. I don't believe it would be copyrighted and i could make it available on the forum if it isn't already. I would also like to find a user manual to understand how to operate the tractor better.

/ MF 65 owner - new member in South West France #9  

Thanks

As the others have said, you should be able to run the baler with the tractor standing still with the transmission in neutral, PTO lever in the engine position and the clutch out. If not' something is wrong. Possibly the PTO lever cover has been put on with the lever out of position. I've never had mine off, so I don't know for sure. Anyone out there that can answer this?

namyessam

Thanks for the input - i have recently had the hydraulic pump out of the tractor and while looking under the seat, i saw the PTO lever in action and it seemed to function normally. In engine position, the PTO turns while in neutral with the clutch in or out (at a speed related to the engine speed) and will turn a light implement like a haybob but will not turn a baler. Is there a PTO clutch system that might have oil on the plates?