Tractor
    MF135 Perkins diesel

Unhappy MF135 Gear Shifting Issues

Hello all.

I just joined this site to see if I could get some much needed advice.

I own a late 60's (not sure of the exact year, but the most recent date on the patent plate is 1966) MF135 3 cyl Perkins diesel. I use it in the summer for grass cutting with a 60" finishing mower. I cut about 5 acres every 6 days or so, therefore my tractor is almost as near to my heart as my children. Today was the first mow, due to the crappy spring we've had in Northern Ontario. I was nearly done cutting and went to shift from 1 Hi to Rev and the transmission jammed. The gear shift lever doesn't appear to be in the proper position for it, but I think it is stuck in 2. The Hi/Lo shifter works, but the gear shift lever will not move. I can't really remember if the tractor would start in gear before (because I don't think I had ever tried doing it) but it will start with the Hi/Lo shifter in neutral. As long as I want to cut the grass really fast, really slow, or only go forward, this is no major issue....but I don't want to do any of these things.

I am hosting an outdoor wedding in my yard in 3 weeks and if I have to resort to my 42" riding mower I am going to be one unhappy camper.

Any and all comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Tractor
    MF165 & Ford 1500

Default Re: MF135 Gear Shifting Issues

this link to Big Deans advice may help

2135 Shifter stuck - Yesterday's Tractor Co. (#74029)

Gold Member
    Tractor
    xyz

Quote Originally Posted by jpollock View Post
    Hello all.

I just joined this site to see if I could get some much needed advice.

I own a late 60's (not sure of the exact year, but the most recent date on the patent plate is 1966) MF135 3 cyl Perkins diesel. I use it in the summer for grass cutting with a 60" finishing mower. I cut about 5 acres every 6 days or so, therefore my tractor is almost as near to my heart as my children. Today was the first mow, due to the crappy spring we've had in Northern Ontario. I was nearly done cutting and went to shift from 1 Hi to Rev and the transmission jammed. The gear shift lever doesn't appear to be in the proper position for it, but I think it is stuck in 2. The Hi/Lo shifter works, but the gear shift lever will not move. I can't really remember if the tractor would start in gear before (because I don't think I had ever tried doing it) but it will start with the Hi/Lo shifter in neutral. As long as I want to cut the grass really fast, really slow, or only go forward, this is no major issue....but I don't want to do any of these things.

I am hosting an outdoor wedding in my yard in 3 weeks and if I have to resort to my 42" riding mower I am going to be one unhappy camper.

Any and all comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.
    Clean around the transmission filler cap and remove it. You should be able to reach in with a screwdriver and move the shifting forks on their rails. I had to do this about 6 weeks ago and wasn't totally sure how but it ended up very simple. This is a common problem from what I have read here and when it happened, I knew just how to fix it.

namyessam

Tractor
    MF135 Perkins diesel

Thanks for the timely responses. I don't know how many 135 gear shifters Big Dean has unstuck since his post saying he had done it to 1000, but make it 1001. It was quite possibly the easiest fix I have ever done on anything. It took me a minute to figure out where the shift fork was, but it popped right back to where it should be and the old girl shifts like a charm once again.

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Good News!
    Murph

Tractor
    MF 135 Z134 Continental, MF 1660 Cab

Great news, and welcome to the forum!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 148 .Chamberlain Super 70. Caterpillar D4. Chamberlain 354 FEL.Toro 268 rideon kubota L2002fel

G'day jpollock.
    And yes welcome to the forum.
    I did not see anyone reminding you to keep the screwdriver in your tractor toolbox.
    Some feel that by changing gears more DELIBERATELY that it is less likely to happen maybe worth a try if you find it happen to often.
    happy days.
    Hutch.