Home Made Exhaust Manifold

/ Home Made Exhaust Manifold #1  

vegaome

Silver Member
Tractor
1970 MF-135 and 1951 Ford 8N
Howdy Folks,

I have another thread going where I'm working on my MF 135 with a perkins gas engine. After looking at my cast exhaust manifold I think it would be good to replace it. Its pitted pretty good and there is not much left sealing it to the head. So I will replace it.

A thought I had was just making one out off a flat piece of 1/8 mild steel and some exhaust pipe. Like the header kits where you make your own headers.

Has anyone tried making their own exhaust manifold for this engine and did it work ok?

Have a good evening.

v/r

Mike

/ Home Made Exhaust Manifold #2  
Unless you just want to try to do something different. Replacement manifolds are anywhere from $33 to $55 plus shipping. A good used one from a salvage yard would probably be about half that. It would be cool to see a custom exhaust though. Just like automobiles. Changing exhaust size effect performance and may require some tuning afterwards.

/ Home Made Exhaust Manifold #3  
It sounds like a cool project. If you do decide to make one try to take pictures for us. Although if you can buy one for $55 it may be a little tough to build on for that price.
It would give her a custom look.

/ Home Made Exhaust Manifold #4  
Unless you just want to try to do something different. Replacement manifolds are anywhere from $33 to $55 plus shipping. A good used one from a salvage yard would probably be about half that. It would be cool to see a custom exhaust though. Just like automobiles. Changing exhaust size effect performance and may require some tuning afterwards.

I wish I could have found one for my 3616 International Harvester Industrial for that price...
A used manifold for that thing was $285 from Bates Corp not counting shipping...
The manifold on my old tractor was broken completely off and I thought was beyond repair...
I took it to a welding and machine shop that fabricated 3 steel plates and then nickle welded them to the manifold...
It was not cheap but was substantially cheaper than the used one...
If you can get one for $55 that would be the way to go...
Heck, the gasket set for mine was over $20...

/ Home Made Exhaust Manifold

Howdy Kid,

I have not been able to find any that cheap. My tractor S/N is 9A 98336 and my engine S/N is 152UA 10601A. I believe P/N 738 230 M1 is the one I need but not sure. I can't find one that looks like mine. I will have to see if there are any numbers on it. Mine comes out strait and the turns down 90 degrees. I could not get AGCO parts on-line to work.

v/r

Mike

/ Home Made Exhaust Manifold #6  
Lots of options on e-bay but they are pricey...
Have you looked there to see if you have a match?
At least the 135 is poplar and they are still in production...
No so on my 3616 IH...

/ Home Made Exhaust Manifold #7  
Vega, Pittsburg Tractor in Pittsburg TX has one heck of a boneyard for old Masseys and especially the 135, they have been great help to me and my 165 with new and salvage parts. They will ship anywhere, 903-856-6548 if interested.

/ Home Made Exhaust Manifold #8  
Vega, Pittsburg Tractor in Pittsburg TX has one heck of a boneyard for old Masseys and especially the 135, they have been great help to me and my 165 with new and salvage parts. They will ship anywhere, 903-856-6548 if interested.
I bought a Continental manifold from them among other items. Prompt people.:thumbsup:

/ Home Made Exhaust Manifold #9  
Howdy Kid,

I have not been able to find any that cheap. My tractor S/N is 9A 98336 and my engine S/N is 152UA 10601A. I believe P/N 738 230 M1 is the one I need but not sure. I can't find one that looks like mine. I will have to see if there are any numbers on it. Mine comes out strait and the turns down 90 degrees. I could not get AGCO parts on-line to work.

v/r

Mike
Mike, the ones I saw probably where not genuine Perkins manifolds. Some OEM manifolds are comming out of India which have a substantially lower price. I went to partsbook and pulled this snippet of what you described as the type your engine has.
View attachment 321502

/ Home Made Exhaust Manifold
Howdy Folks,

Sorry it took so long to respond. With work and kids and an internet that is very slow if working at all slows down my computer time. Thank you all for helping, I really do appreciate it. I went out and found the number on my manifold its 377815001. If I take one of the zeros away it matches a part number from kids picture. I will try calling that place in Texas to see if they have one. Once again thank you all for the help.

v/r

Mike