Massey Ferguson 35 hydraulics not lowering

/ Massey Ferguson 35 hydraulics not lowering #1  

playinsteel

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 35
When I purchased my Massey Ferguson 35, the lift would raise and lower, but it was slow and jerky. I just changed the trans/hydraulic fluid and filter and found that there was a good deal of water in the bottom of the case (from old and cracked shifter boots and it was left outside). Now, when I raise the lift, it doesn't want to lower back. If I leave it down when I first crank the tractor, it will stay down, but if I ever raise it, it will not lower unless I depress the clutch or turn off the engine and let it slowly leak down. The lift is still slow, but it's nice and smooth now. I did have the problem just right before I changed the fluid, but I was messing around with the draft lever and got it to go back down. This is my first tractor, so I'm hoping I just don't know how to work it. Anybody have any ideas?

/ Massey Ferguson 35 hydraulics not lowering #2  
When I purchased my Massey Ferguson 35, the lift would raise and lower, but it was slow and jerky. I just changed the trans/hydraulic fluid and filter and found that there was a good deal of water in the bottom of the case (from old and cracked shifter boots and it was left outside). Now, when I raise the lift, it doesn't want to lower back. If I leave it down when I first crank the tractor, it will stay down, but if I ever raise it, it will not lower unless I depress the clutch or turn off the engine and let it slowly leak down. The lift is still slow, but it's nice and smooth now. I did have the problem just right before I changed the fluid, but I was messing around with the draft lever and got it to go back down. This is my first tractor, so I'm hoping I just don't know how to work it. Anybody have any ideas?

There is a lot of solid information here on TBN to absorb. That info can be worthless if not followed precisely. First, if I where you, II'd obtain a copy of the service manual so you can follow along with some of the excellent guidance this site has to offer. Your problem sounds exactly like the one talked about in thread just below this one. Give it a look see and see if you agree. The MF 35 is very similar to the MF 135 which many here own. It sounds like linkage is not where they suppose to be. A clean filter and fluid and fixing points of entry for water is always a good start. You may have to drain most all that fluid to find your problem. So you can access the inside. One can learn a great deal without asking any questions. Without manuals, it's hard to visualize the parts your having to correct. Good luck. - kid

/ Massey Ferguson 35 hydraulics not lowering #3  

Do you have an auxiliary valve on top of the case in front of the seat between your legs or any other hydraulic valve in that location?

/ Massey Ferguson 35 hydraulics not lowering
No auxiliary valves. I've been out of town with work and just got back tonight. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them. That might make it easier.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I got the tractor out to take some pics, and guess what....the hydraulics just started working like a champ. my best guess is that, due to sitting-up for almost a year, maybe there was some trash in the valve body??? Anyway, thanks for the ideas. Hopefully regular use and TLC will work out all the little quirks.

Thanks all...

/ Massey Ferguson 35 hydraulics not lowering #6  
Well, I got the tractor out to take some pics, and guess what....the hydraulics just started working like a champ. my best guess is that, due to sitting-up for almost a year, maybe there was some trash in the valve body??? Anyway, thanks for the ideas. Hopefully regular use and TLC will work out all the little quirks.

Thanks all...

Or you had air in the system.

/ Massey Ferguson 35 hydraulics not lowering #7  
We still want pics :)

Well, I got the tractor out to take some pics, and guess what....the hydraulics just started working like a champ.

Thanks all...

Alright. I'll post some pics of the old girl this evening.

Here's some pics of the MF35. The first pic below shows a switch or lever that is below the steering wheel and across from the light switch. Anybody know what it is?

James' iphone 1462.jpgJames' iphone 1446.jpgJames' iphone 1461.jpgJames' iphone 1447.jpgJames' iphone 1448.jpgJames' iphone 1449.jpgJames' iphone 1450.jpgJames' iphone 1451.jpgJames' iphone 1452.jpgJames' iphone 1453.jpgJames' iphone 1454.jpgJames' iphone 1455.jpgJames' iphone 1456.jpgJames' iphone 1457.jpgJames' iphone 1458.jpgJames' iphone 1459.jpgJames' iphone 1460.jpgsmashed_filter_cup.jpgJames' iphone 1462.jpg

/ Massey Ferguson 35 hydraulics not lowering #10  
The lever you see is the Multi-Power switch. Here's a decoder page for your serial number you provided in the photo.