TO-35 won't start

/ TO-35 won't start #1  

crowbar032

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 150, TO-35, John Deere 5065E, Caterpiller 953 track loader, NH LS170 Skid Steer
I'm at a loss here. A couple of weeks ago, I used this tractor to rake hay. It mostly ran fine. Occasionally, it would miss but then pick back up and run fine. I thought it was just cheap gas (stupid ethanol) or some crud running through the lines. After I finished, I parked it in the barn and didn't start it for about a week. When I started it, it idled ok, but under load it developed a bad miss then finally died. It will not re-start. It cranks strong, hits for like two licks then nothing. I did the normal things....changed plugs, changed points, changed condensor, changed wires, changed distributor cap, changed rotor button. No change. Took the carb apart and cleaned it, nothing appeared to be clogged (used aersol carb cleaner). I replaced this carb a few years ago...not rebuilt, a new carb. No change. Then I got desperate. Changed starter solenoid. No change. Switched coils. No change. Suprisingly, the inside of the gas tank looks new, no rust and no noticable buildup. I'm not sure what else to check on.

My Dad is convinced it's out of time and that the timing chain is stretched and needs replaced. I'm hoping it's not that invasive. Just looking for other theories and other things to check. Appreciate any thoughts.

Old Gray is part of the family, I'm 36 and I don't ever remember a time without this tractor on the farm....he can't die on me now.

/ TO-35 won't start #2  
it has no timing chain its gear driven......... Sparking at the plugs?? are they wet? remove plugs dry them and allow the cylinder to dry out. Verify you have spark at the plugs, Try a small shot of starting fluid to see it wil fire at all. With all the parts that have been change its hard to say at this point so go back to basics

/ TO-35 won't start
it has no timing chain its gear driven......... Sparking at the plugs?? are they wet? remove plugs dry them and allow the cylinder to dry out. Verify you have spark at the plugs, Try a small shot of starting fluid to see it wil fire at all. With all the parts that have been change its hard to say at this point so go back to basics

Good info on the timing chain.....or lack thereof, was not aware of that. I've got spark at the points, I forgot to turn the key off before I checked the gap. I'll have to take the plugs out and check spark on each one. They were not wet when I changed them. Thanks.

/ TO-35 won't start #4  
G'day which engine have you got?? I ask this because all the petrol ones out here run a timing chain and it is common for them to snap a pin in the governor weights and for the weight to fall down and either break the chain or worse :eek:. I have also seen the chain stretch enough to make it run rough but not start.

Jon

/ TO-35 won't start
G'day which engine have you got?? I ask this because all the petrol ones out here run a timing chain and it is common for them to snap a pin in the governor weights and for the weight to fall down and either break the chain or worse :eek:. I have also seen the chain stretch enough to make it run rough but not start.
Jon

It's the 4 cylinder Continental engine. It cranked strong and the plugs were getting fire, so it should have at least sputtered. I took the carb back apart and soaked it for a few hours in one of those gallon cans of carb cleaner solution. Re-assembled and installed the carb and it fired on the first turn and never missed at all. Ran a 5' bushhog for about an hour with no issues, no missing at all. I'm just suprised that I needed to soak it, usually blowing it out with the aerosol works. I'm convinced it has something to do with the ethanol that is in gas now gumming up the carbs. I always add stabilizer to the gas when I buy it too. I'm going to start looking for a fuel tank and buy my gas at the co-op. They can still get gas without ethanol, hopefully that will help with the carb issues.

As of now, I consider the issue resolved. Old Grey is running like a champ...until something else happens. Thanks for the info.

/ TO-35 won't start #6  
Glad to see this post. My MF35 is doing the same thing - bush hogged for a couple of hours one day, sat for a week and a half, cranked and then went dead like it was out of gas and won't crank back. I've been looking for others who have had this to see what they did to correct it. Keeping my fingers crossed tomorrow as I work on it....

/ TO-35 won't start
Glad to see this post. My MF35 is doing the same thing - bush hogged for a couple of hours one day, sat for a week and a half, cranked and then went dead like it was out of gas and won't crank back. I've been looking for others who have had this to see what they did to correct it. Keeping my fingers crossed tomorrow as I work on it....

Like I said blowing it out with the aersol can stuff didn't work for me. I soaked mine in the cleaner linked below after I did a complete tune-up and determined the plugs were getting fire. I had spark, so it had to be fuel. I completely disassembled the carb and gave it a good soaking and so far no other issues. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum btw, I see it's your first post.

NAPA AUTO PARTS

/ TO-35 won't start #8  
Thanks Crowbar! I appreciate the link as well to the fluid. I am unfortunately not very mecanically talented so I am excited to have come a cross this forum.

/ TO-35 won't start #9  
Ok all - I'm at a loss now. I've pulled the carb apart, soaked it for several hours, rebuilt it after blowing out all the holes making sure they were clear. I pulled the gas line off and cleaned it out, and made sure before I reattached it to the bulb that I had gas flow coming out where the gas line goes in. Put it all back on, sprayed a little start fluid and...it would chug until the starter fluid would burn off then nothing. All wires, plugs, distributor cap all good. I am totally at a loss - any suggestions?

/ TO-35 won't start #10  
Check (all) your plug wires. Look for broken or bent ends. ( Even new ones can be bad) Have you static timed it? Being in static time it should start. The mechanical advance times it from there. How are you verifying spark? Be careful with starting fluid. I usually. Shot it only into the air filter. Double check your firing order. Verify that both choke and butterfly are opening as they should. As mentioned by Jerry and others a weak spark will create starting problems.

You mentioned you think it's "out of time". Static time it. It should start even if the advance weights inside the distributor are froze. It just won't accelerate properly. Good luck -kid