TSX-458 carburetor (from TO-30) powdercoated and rebuilt

/ TSX-458 carburetor (from TO-30) powdercoated and rebuilt #1  

dbotos

Silver Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO-30, Kioti LB1914
Finally got this coated and put back together. Started by completely disassembling then blasting the two castings. Outgassed them in the oven and blasted again (some pretty stubborn black junk inside the upper casting after outgassing) before blowing clean, acetone rinsing, masking, and coating. Powder is Prismatic Powders autumn grey (PSB-5946), which is a pretty close match for Yenkin-Majestic "Majic" Massey Ferguson gray 8-22955 paint that they sell at Tractor Supply (darker than the original TO-30 light gray). I swapped out the original slotted fillister head screws (that hold the two castings together) for some stainless socket head cap screws (12-24 x 5/8") and some #10 stainless flat washers with the OD turned down to 3/8".

Last thing I need to find is a new barb fitting that goes into the fuel strainer elbow. I thought it was just regular 1/8 NPT going into the elbow, but upon measuring the old barb fitting, it appears to be 7/16-24 straight thread. Anyone know where I can get one of these or a part number for it? Should be for 5/16" ID hose on the barb end.

Attachments

• tractor_carb_1.jpg
    tractor_carb_1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 225
  • tractor_carb_2.jpg
    tractor_carb_2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 333
  • tractor_carb_3.jpg
    tractor_carb_3.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 280
   / TSX-458 carburetor (from TO-30) powdercoated and rebuilt
Update: I found out what the fitting I need is called and have half of it already. It's called an inverted flare swivel. It's a two-piece affair consisting of a brake line nut (in this case, an SAE 1/4" size, which has 7/16-24 external threads) and then the barb body, which has a short projection of tubing that captures the nut when flared. Attached is an example of a 90-degree version (I need a straight one, but this picture showed the two pieces in contrasting colors nicely). Anyway, I went to the auto parts store and picked up a length of brake line tubing that has two of the correct nuts on it. Going to make a simple barb body and flare it over one of the nuts...

Attachments

• inverted_flare_swivel_90.png
    inverted_flare_swivel_90.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 116
Quick model. I need to make the bluish green part. Center bore is 3/16".

Attachments

• inverted_flare_swivel_assy_x_sec.png
    inverted_flare_swivel_assy_x_sec.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 129
   / TSX-458 carburetor (from TO-30) powdercoated and rebuilt #4  
Update: I found out what the fitting I need is called and have half of it already. It's called an inverted flare swivel. It's a two-piece affair consisting of a brake line nut (in this case, an SAE 1/4" size, which has 7/16-24 external threads) and then the barb body, which has a short projection of tubing that captures the nut when flared. Attached is an example of a 90-degree version (I need a straight one, but this picture showed the two pieces in contrasting colors nicely). Anyway, I went to the auto parts store and picked up a length of brake line tubing that has two of the correct nuts on it. Going to make a simple barb body and flare it over one of the nuts...

I was going this route and because of the intenseheat near the manifold I went with hardline. I already had a tube bender and a high quality tube flaring kit. Bent the line clear away fron any heat and up to the tank cutoff. -kid

Good idea. I already bought 2 feet of new rubber hose, so I will probably install that and see how long it lasts. But I will remember about hardline if the rubber hose goes south. ;)

/ TSX-458 carburetor (from TO-30) powdercoated and rebuilt #6  
The OEM never used a barbed fitting. It has a metal fuel line with a flared fitting because it runs under a hot exhaust manifold.

Good to know. Maybe I will use a length of the hard line I bought to get it well away from the manifold and then adapt to the hose.

Found some pictures in the owner's and service manuals showing the hard line (must have glossed over that before when reading them). Also mocked up the manifold, carb, and hard line. Definitely needs to jog behind the exhaust outlet. Looks like I might as well put everything back on in order to figure out the routing of the fuel line. :wrench:

Attachments

• carb_installed_from_owners_manual.png
    carb_installed_from_owners_manual.png
    304.8 KB · Views: 252
  • carb_installed_from_service_manual.png
    carb_installed_from_service_manual.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 176
  • carb_manifold_straight_hard_line_bottom.jpg
    carb_manifold_straight_hard_line_bottom.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 191
   / TSX-458 carburetor (from TO-30) powdercoated and rebuilt #9  
Found some pictures in the owner's and service manuals showing the hard line (must have glossed over that before when reading them). Also mocked up the manifold, carb, and hard line. Definitely needs to jog behind the exhaust outlet. Looks like I might as well put everything back on in order to figure out the routing of the fuel line. :wrench:

Does your manifold have the original heat shield around it? When I bought mine, I didn't have a heat shield. Somewhere down the road a previous owner removed it. They are a PITA TO WORK AROUND. My manifold had a bad bolting point to the exhaust pipe, so I put a scrapyard good manifold for a Z145 on it. I also located a heat shield and modified it so it's easy to install or remove for any type of servicing. I too had rubber line going to an external fuel filter. When using my tractor I noticed the manifold radiating a tremendous amount of heat. Even though the high pressure fuel line was way away fro the manifold I still was nervous due to heat. I decided because of safety to put it back to a hard line as it was from the factory. All of this is documented in my Refurbish thread in the link in my signature line. -kid