Massey Ferguson Governor Problem

/ Massey Ferguson Governor Problem #1  

DS43812

Tractor
MF35
I recently rebuilt the Continental Z-134 engine of my Massey Ferguson 35 tractor and have since broken it in and everything runs perfectly except for the governor, which is also new.

At first I suspected that the carburetor may have been causing a lack of power so I carefully dialed it in and the engine has plenty of power with no hesitation at idle or full throttle.

Since then, I've carefully adjusted the governor several times while following instructions found both in the OEM manual and on the FENA website since my governor is identical to those found on the older Ferguson tractors.

The governor and throttle linkage is free moving and does not bind, but no matter what I try I can't seem to get it to work properly. If I manually push the governor lever to increase RPM's it does push back against my finger and it does seem to work at higher RPM's >2000 but that won't do me much good at typical engine operating speeds.

Suggestions?

/ Massey Ferguson Governor Problem #2  
I have a Z-145 gas and before you put the front timing cover back on you have to orient the governor in the correct position. You may remember that the metal plate that goes on last with the governor has a flange or lip on it. That lip (on my tractor) must be oriented so that it points at the generator (about 10 o'clock) before you put on the cover. If you have a shop manual it should point this out. I also have it on a video that I may be able to send a snip of so you can see it. Let me know if this helps.

/ Massey Ferguson Governor Problem
I have a Z-145 gas and before you put the front timing cover back on you have to orient the governor in the correct position. You may remember that the metal plate that goes on last with the governor has a flange or lip on it. That lip (on my tractor) must be oriented so that it points at the generator (about 10 o'clock) before you put on the cover. If you have a shop manual it should point this out. I also have it on a video that I may be able to send a snip of so you can see it. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks for your suggestion. When I assembled the engine I was very careful to orient the governor race (cone shaped disc) correctly. My shop manual indicates the governor race should be in the 8 o'clock position, but it's vague on a few critical details as is often the case with shop manuals. Even the Big Dean CD loaned to me by a friend didn't have the answer to my problem, where I've since learned that there a few quirks and/or caveats to adjusting the governor, but I think I've got it figured out now.

In any case, my governor problem turned out to be a blessing in disguise because while working on the governor issue I discovered that one of the three spokes or webs of my crankshaft pulley was cracked. It explains a previously unidentified vibration I experienced at certain engine speeds.

/ Massey Ferguson Governor Problem #4  
Even if your governor is set correctly. A carburetor set too lean will effect the governors performance. This I know.