Massey Ferguson 35 Frankenstien.......

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Frankenstien....... #1  

Ewgoetz

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey ferguson
Last Friday I picked up this tractor. The seller told me it was a Massey Ferguson 35. The diesel engine is not original and that it was from a Generator. :confused2: From what I can tell it also has a 12 speed trans..... It is in a bit of a rought condition but works and its able to do what I need around the recent land purchase I made. What I am looking for now is to confirm what it is and ID the front loader as well. I do have a Photobucket account and have posted pics of it from different angles and some close ups.Here is the link to the photobucket account.
Massey Ferguson Photos by ewgoetz | Photobucket

I have already ordered a shifter boot and I think I got the correct Dual shifter boot as well for the revers bar/High low gear shifter. Ordered a servce and operators manual from amazon. Got a new leveling lift arm on the way as well to replace the left side which was welded together. Today I picked up a New top link. I'm working on making a new lever for the 3rd spool for the hydraulics(im planning to get a skidloader hitch attachment for it). Any help in identifying anything else that may be wrong to a issue on it would be very appreciated. ALso on the list of things to do is replace/reroute some of the hydraulic hoses.... specifically the one that's in the way of the right foot.
:D

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Frankenstien.......
btw the High low shifter/reverse bar I have removed the Old boot for now and wraped some think 3 mil plastic and zip tied it to prevent water from entering/seeping down the shifters.

Also How do I know how much to adjust the 3 point hitch? What/where on it should I be looking for/at?

So... no one has any ideas on the front loader or any other helpful comments for it? Or Did I post this in the wrong forum?.......

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Frankenstien....... #4  
Personally I think it's a neat set-up, but have no good advise to offer. Seems you are on the right tract by taking care of obvious and basic concerns. The Perkins from a generator is intersecting, but could be the same as the original with things like the pan transferred to the donor engine

Maybe adding a couple pics direct in the forum will spark some discussion.

null_zps3ca817b9.jpg

null_zpse640a0c2.jpg

null_zps53486c4b.jpg

null_zps6eee8e3b.jpg

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Frankenstien....... #5  
I would say the condition looks good for that vintage. I wouldn't call it a Frankenstein. The 3rd spool is nice to have. If it has good power, doesn't smoke, starts well from cold, shifts and runs well in all gears, steers and drives well, and the front end is tight when you lift the wheels off the ground with the loader and wiggle the wheels it is probably sound.

Check the condition of all of the fluids. If it has been kept outside there may be some water in the gear oil. It really pays to store a tractor under roof to protect not only from rain but also from radiative cooling at night which can cause water to condense in the fluid reservoirs.

Do a Google image search to identify the loader. I took a quick peek and came up with this: Used Farm Tractors for Sale: Front-End Loader M-F 35 (2003-10-15) - TractorShed.com

It looks like the upper loader mounts have been repaired and the diamond plate on the right loader frame also looks like a fish plate repair. Take a good look at them and make sure they were sensibly done and the workmanship is okay. The welds look rough - you may want to use a wire brush on an angle grinder to strip the paint and possible slag off of them and see if they are sound. With those evident repairs you should inspect the entire loader frame and subframe for cracks or additional repairs.

Some of the hydraulic plumbing looks like sch 40 pipe. Anything under high pressure needs to be properly rated. Sch40 is only okay for return to sump and the pump suction line.

What aspect of 3-point adjustment are you asking about?

/ Massey Ferguson 35 Frankenstien....... #6  
Looks to me like a MF35 with a davis loader, looks like dual cylinders added to the bucket, Why do you think you have a 12 speed trans? looks like a 3 speed with Hi/lo for 6 speeds total. Do you have dual clutch/live pto. They made the 35 in several flavors. looks like a Industrial model by the front axle. Post you engine numbers and someone can help id it.

Personally I think it's a neat set-up, but have no good advise to offer. Seems you are on the right tract by taking care of obvious and basic concerns. The Perkins from a generator is intersecting, but could be the same as the original with things like the pan transferred to the donor engine

Maybe adding a couple pics direct in the forum will spark some discussion.

null_zps3ca817b9.jpg

null_zpse640a0c2.jpg

null_zps53486c4b.jpg

null_zps6eee8e3b.jpg

I think the diesel is the same as the original was. I had to get a starter for it this week and it used the stock massey ferguson 35 starter motor. Was worried When I ordered it that it was gonna be totally incorrect.

I would say the condition looks good for that vintage. I wouldn't call it a Frankenstein. The 3rd spool is nice to have. If it has good power, doesn't smoke, starts well from cold, shifts and runs well in all gears, steers and drives well, and the front end is tight when you lift the wheels off the ground with the loader and wiggle the wheels it is probably sound.

Check the condition of all of the fluids. If it has been kept outside there may be some water in the gear oil. It really pays to store a tractor under roof to protect not only from rain but also from radiative cooling at night which can cause water to condense in the fluid reservoirs.

Do a Google image search to identify the loader. I took a quick peek and came up with this: Used Farm Tractors for Sale: Front-End Loader M-F 35 (2003-10-15) - TractorShed.com

It looks like the upper loader mounts have been repaired and the diamond plate on the right loader frame also looks like a fish plate repair. Take a good look at them and make sure they were sensibly done and the workmanship is okay. The welds look rough - you may want to use a wire brush on an angle grinder to strip the paint and possible slag off of them and see if they are sound. With those evident repairs you should inspect the entire loader frame and subframe for cracks or additional repairs.

Some of the hydraulic plumbing looks like sch 40 pipe. Anything under high pressure needs to be properly rated. Sch40 is only okay for return to sump and the pump suction line.

What aspect of 3-point adjustment are you asking about?

It does work well,
most of the welds on the loader seam decent, the worse welds are on the bucket it self.
I actualy hae tried bing and looking at images but a lot of them don't mention the model numbers or are not clear pics of the loader it self. I have been suspecting its a davis but I have no Idea what model number it woud be, I thought it was a 200, another time it seamed it might be a 210 or a 100.......
I realy like to replace a lot of those hoses but I'm trying to figure out what model loader it is so I can use the correct or better parts/lines for it.

on the 3 point I was wondering about the adjustable leveling arms and the top link. say if I had a blade box on how do I know its adjusted right or is that a thing that depends on what your doing with it?

Looks to me like a MF35 with a davis loader, looks like dual cylinders added to the bucket, Why do you think you have a 12 speed trans? looks like a 3 speed with Hi/lo for 6 speeds total. Do you have dual clutch/live pto. They made the 35 in several flavors. looks like a Industrial model by the front axle. Post you engine numbers and someone can help id it.

I say its a 12 speed cause it will go in forward 12 speeds and go in reverse 12 speeds. the shifter will not go into the R position of the shift box. To get it in reverse you have to move a Bar forward under the steering wheel to the bottom

And to go forward you push that bar back to you. That bar is linkaged down and goes into the same opening next to the H/L shifter in this pic:

I have another question about a ruber seal that's for the 3 point hitch linkage. its right under the Seat and the top link connects to the ram on it. in this pic

What is it called? I'm still waiting on the 2 manuals I ordered last week, Should of had them sent faster instead of economy.