mf135engine overhaul

/ mf135engine overhaul #1  

plunger

Tractor
mf135
I have done the 1400km return trip to try fix my tractor. Unfortunately it took longer than expected and so I have to go back again. I absolutely battled to get the head off. I had to use a crowbar and chisels and screwdrivers . It took me about 4 hours. Why dont they just make the clearance holes bigger. Anyway the gasket blew between one and two. However cylinder sleeve three seems to be cracked. I have brought the engine home with me so I can fix it at my leisure.
I am worried about two of the studs. There seem to be hairline cracks in the block . One of them seem to run into the cylinder sleeve.I am hoping that if I put in a semi finished liner it will not matter.
What have you guys who have rebuilt your engines do to make working on your engines easier. I am referring to an engine stand of sorts. I am wondering how to handle this motor safely when it comes to turning it around to do the crank shaft bearings. Can a waterpump be rebuilt. My cam is badly damaged where the fuel pump runs. Can this be built up with weld and machined?
Does anyone know of a write up of a diesel 135 I am hoping not to have to surf the net if someone knows of a good writeup. What should I be replacing in a rebuild ?If my head and crank and valves are okay would it be foolish to not do the waterpump and oil pump. I really dont want to throw money away but at the same time I dont want to do something foolish. My flywheel has cracks in it but I suppose this isnt a car .Can injectors be re serviced by a diy or is this highly specialized
Is there a solvent that gets rid of coke build up for the pistons and valves etc.
thanks eugene

/ mf135engine overhaul #2  
I have done the 1400km return trip to try fix my tractor. Unfortunately it took longer than expected and so I have to go back again. I absolutely battled to get the head off. I had to use a crowbar and chisels and screwdrivers . It took me about 4 hours. Why dont they just make the clearance holes bigger. Anyway the gasket blew between one and two. However cylinder sleeve three seems to be cracked. I have brought the engine home with me so I can fix it at my leisure.
I am worried about two of the studs. There seem to be hairline cracks in the block . One of them seem to run into the cylinder sleeve.I am hoping that if I put in a semi finished liner it will not matter.
What have you guys who have rebuilt your engines do to make working on your engines easier. I am referring to an engine stand of sorts. I am wondering how to handle this motor safely when it comes to turning it around to do the crank shaft bearings. Can a waterpump be rebuilt. My cam is badly damaged where the fuel pump runs. Can this be built up with weld and machined?
Does anyone know of a write up of a diesel 135 I am hoping not to have to surf the net if someone knows of a good writeup. What should I be replacing in a rebuild ?If my head and crank and valves are okay would it be foolish to not do the waterpump and oil pump. I really dont want to throw money away but at the same time I dont want to do something foolish. My flywheel has cracks in it but I suppose this isnt a car .Can injectors be re serviced by a diy or is this highly specialized
Is there a solvent that gets rid of coke build up for the pistons and valves etc.
thanks eugene

Try looking at mf 165 knocking by DaButcher you can find it on page 2. That is the closest thread dealing with rebuilding a perkins diesel.

hopefully this will help you

namyesam

/ mf135engine overhaul #3  
   / mf135engine overhaul
I am also struggling with the timing marks. Nothing lines up I was assuming that if the piston closest to the front of the motor was at tdc some marks would line up

/ mf135engine overhaul #5  
I am also struggling with the timing marks. Nothing lines up I was assuming that if the piston closest to the front of the motor was at tdc some marks would line up

Are you sure that is on its compression stroke and not between exaust and intake stroke? I'm not sure where the timing marks are on a Perkins diesel.

/ mf135engine overhaul #7  
I cracked my block a little by overtighting a stud between 3 and 4 cyc. .......Head torqued down OK and no ill effects with almost 70 engine hours on the rebuild.

thanks eugene

/ mf135engine overhaul
masseyman My head is off and so is the flywheel. How will I know if I am on compression? If the front cylinder is right at the top and if i looked at the camshaft lobes should the lobes not be at their highest point? Dabutcher could you please explain more .I did not get the 144 revolutions. I am exciterd to get the crankshaft off but am scared to not know what to do with the timing. Is their a way around it Thanks guys

/ mf135engine overhaul #9  

You must be refering to the timing marks on the cam and crankshaft gears if you have the flywheel off. If it is the timing marks on the crankshaft gear and the camshaft gear, I believe what DaButcher is saying is that the ratio of the gears is not even and the timing marks will not line up each time the no. 1 piston is at top dead center on its compression stroke. Depending on the ratio between all the gears in the timing gear train, it may take several rotations before they line up again. I will try to answer some of your other questions as best as I can. I rebuilt a gas continental engine in my 135 and most of the procedures of inspection are the same. The cleaner the parts, the better the reassembly and overall life of the rebuild will be. Good Luck

namyessam

/ mf135engine overhaul #10  

I consulted my I & T service manual which covers the 135, 150, and 165 and confirmed what DaButcher stated. On a three cylinder Perkins Diesel, since there is four gears in the camshaft and crankshaft gear train, the timing marks will only align once every 18 revolutions. On a 165 which DaButcher rebuilt, the timing marks will only align once in over 2000 revolutions. So when you reassemble, as long as you align all the timing marks properly, you should be good.