New guy, qeustions about my Massey Harris 50

/ New guy, qeustions about my Massey Harris 50 #1  

coss

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Harris 50, Kubota L3710, Kubota G1900
I recently bought a Massey Harris 50 with turf tires that had been used to mow grass at a church summer camp. It has 3800 hours on the tach. The rear wheels have weights. There is a bolt broken off in one of the front chassis mounting blocks, so I assume it had a front end loader on it at some point. I have several questions for the experts:

1. I have been using it to mow overgrown fields with a 6' rotary cutter. I'm not sure I need the rear weights, and I wanted to ask you guys if there is any penalty to removing them to reduce lawn damage when I'm driving it back and forth across the yard on the way to the fields.

2. I have been considering buying a finish mower to use it for cutting about 1.5 acres of lawn. It may be a bit unwieldy for this application, given that it lacks power steering and has a pretty wide turning radius, at least with the rotary cutter attached. Has anyone used their Model 50 for their lawn?

3. I've acquired a factory service manual and the I and T manual (the manuals are for the Model 65, but much of the text refers to the Model 50 as well). I've already changed the gearcase/hydraulic fluid. The fan belt is old, and I have no idea when the radiator was last flushed, so I'm planning to replace the upper and lower hoses, the belt, and I would like to replace the thermostat as well while everything is apart. What parts do I need to replace the thermostat? Is there anything else I should do as part of that maintenance stint?

4. If I wanted to put a front end loader on it, which models would be appropriate, and where might I find one?

Thanks to all.

/ New guy, qeustions about my Massey Harris 50 #2  
Welcome from S.E. Mass.

/ New guy, qeustions about my Massey Harris 50 #3  
1. I have been using it to mow overgrown fields with a 6' rotary cutter. I'm not sure I need the rear weights, and I wanted to ask you guys if there is any penalty to removing them to reduce lawn damage when I'm driving it back and forth across the yard on the way to the fields.

Yes, you can remove the wheel weights without any penalty. Very low draft when operating a Rotary Cutter. Yours is a heavy tractor for its horsepower: 32-hp gas WHEN NEW / 3,500++ pounds.

Do you have four wheel drive? Perhaps the weights were added for high draft ground contact applications, like plowing, if your tractor is two wheel drive only.

Finish Mowers require sharp, rust free blades. Do you have space to store a Finish Mower indoors?

Your tractor is 55+ years old. Often broken FELs have been removed from older tractors. The steering will be heavier with an FEL on the front.

(You might consider reworking #3 and #4 into a new thread on the Massey-Ferguson Classic/Vintage Forum.)

LINK TO TRACTORDATA.COM:

TractorData.com Massey-Harris 50 tractor information

Last edited:
   / New guy, qeustions about my Massey Harris 50 #4  
I believe the wheel weights were on for the FEL that was on there as 4 wheel drive was not a option in the 50s on this Model. As Jeff posted ask your Tech ?s in the Massey Vintage forum. And Welcome to TBN.

Last edited: