Massey ferguson 2135 pto seal change

/ Massey ferguson 2135 pto seal change #1  

fecmech

Tractor
Massey 2135, John Deere B
Gentlemen--I just purchased a Massey Ferguson 2135 that for one thing has a PTO seal leak. I did a search on this board and came up with one for a 135 which said to be sure PTO was in ground speed when pulling the shaft out. As near as I can tell on this tractor I don't have a ground speed just engaged and disengaged. I purchased a shop manual from Yesterdays Tractors (Jensales)which tells me nothing, so to my question. Do you just pull the shaft out or is there a tool that pulls what I'm guessing is the seal carrier out? After pulling off the plate that holds the carrier?? in I noticed there are threads inside the carrier?. Is there a tool that threads into the carrier to pull it?
Also are there other maintenance manuals available somewhere that are better quality than the Jensale ones from Yesterdays tractors?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Nick

/ Massey ferguson 2135 pto seal change #2  
After the retainer plate is removed and oil drained just use a punch in the PTO shaft hole, and a crowbar to pry assembly out. The O ring around the retainer may be snug but it will come out. Shaft will go back with no trouble, at least all I have done were easy. Threads inside the retainer are for a PTO cap.

/ Massey ferguson 2135 pto seal change #3  
when you pull it. check the bearing. may times a seal failure is a secondary event. IE.. if the bearineg wears it allows the shaft to hog the seal..e tc.

also ensure there is no thrust play in the pto shaft. again. bearing or snap ring issues.. or bearing carrier issues.. etc..

/ Massey ferguson 2135 pto seal change
Thanks for the help guys.

/ Massey ferguson 2135 pto seal change #5  
AGCO pubs also have manuals.

/ Massey ferguson 2135 pto seal change #6  
Gentlemen--I just purchased a Massey Ferguson 2135 that for one thing has a PTO seal leak. I did a search on this board and came up with one for a 135 which said to be sure PTO was in ground speed when pulling the shaft out. As near as I can tell on this tractor I don't have a ground speed just engaged and disengaged. I purchased a shop manual from Yesterdays Tractors (Jensales)which tells me nothing, so to my question. Do you just pull the shaft out or is there a tool that pulls what I'm guessing is the seal carrier out? After pulling off the plate that holds the carrier?? in I noticed there are threads inside the carrier?. Is there a tool that threads into the carrier to pull it? Also are there other maintenance manuals available somewhere that are better quality than the Jensale ones from Yesterdays tractors?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Nick
Engage the PTO lever before pulling it. That is ground engaging. Somewhere in my refurbish thread I show how to remove the shaft in a very simple way. Pay close attention on how the old one comes out. The seal is holding back a considerable amount of hydraulic fluid. You can do it without draining all the fluid if you where to park the tractor with the front end downhill. If your hydro fluid is dirty it would be a good time to kill two birds.

If you don't engage the PTO before pulling the output shaft, I've been told things inside will fall out of place. I never really asked what would happen but I engaged it and all went well. The hardest part is pulling out the old seal. After draining my fluid down and taking my time it took about thirty minutes. In my Refurbish thread I used a piece of rope and a hammer to yank the shaft out. :). It doesn't take a lot of effort to pull the shaft. -kid

Kid:
Looking at the parts breakdown. ground speed engage and engage are in opposite directions. Ground speed is fully forward and down, neutral (disengaged) is in the middle while engaged is fully back and up. Were you in the engage (fully to the rear and up) when you pulled your shaft? My 2135 only has neutral and engage which is fully to the rear and up.

/ Massey ferguson 2135 pto seal change #8  
On my 135 there is a lever behind my left foot that I pull forward as of I where using/engaging the PTO. I don't remember reading this in my manual. But I was told to make sure I did before pulling the shaft. I used a heavy hammer, screwdriver and rope to snatch out the shaft gently. On the end of the shaft should be a hole thru the diameter of the end shaft. I placed a small screwdriver or long nail or whatever tied the rope in a loop. Looped it over the nail, screwdriver or whatever. Then looped the other end around the hammer heads to use as a snatch puller. Came out quite easily after a couple of gentle snatch pulls.

Be advised I was working on a MF135 and the directions above where describing how I removed mine. Your tractor mechanics may be different. I'm not familiar with the 2135. They do look very similar in design. Good luck. -kid

Looking in the AGCO parts manual for the 2135 item #7 is a plug for a detent hole to be installed when a tractor does not have ground speed. I'm guessing my lever must be in the fwd position (neutral on mine) which would be engaged on yours. I'm going to contact a MF dealer before I pull this to be safe. Thank you all for the info.

/ Massey ferguson 2135 pto seal change #10  
G'day fecmech.
it does not really matter,the floating pto drive gear will not fall out, drain the oil ,remove the pto shaft retaining screws and has been said put a bar ,screwdriver through the hole in the pto shaft and lever the shaft out ,it does not need to come out all the way 3 inches will do ,just enough to remove the seal assembly,use a large socket to remove the seal ,dont forget to write down or take a photo of the correct way the seal fits, the wiper part of the seal faces out!dont forget to replace the large "O" ring.
Happy days.
Hutch.