Tractor
    M-F 135 gas

Default Trim the bucket on 135?

I have a Freeman industrial loader on my Massey 135. I can go out to get the exact model number if someone wants it, but it's similar to the one on this TO-35 from another thread. Actually mine might be bigger. I'll put up pictures later.

Yeah I know the 135 is not a good loader tractor. I've already experienced the lack of rear traction despite CaCl in the tires. Added the cast iron weights, and it will nearly always have a blade or snowblower on the tail. After adding the weights and blade, it lifted the blower from my truck without worry, except for steering of course. Front axle seems fine so far.

And even if adding a loader, the industrial is way too much for the tractor. The pistons hit the tires, though not as bad as in picture above. I can live with that I guess. But I'm wondering about making the bucket smaller. I could torch it down to make it shallow, or I could look for a swap to a shallower bucket and also one with pins inside the bucket to bring it closer to the nose. I like having the separate front hydro pump so that I can use it for remotes instead of the main hydro with the wacky constant flow setting at the three point. Suggestions?

Also saw mention of upgrading to full power steering instead of power assist. I'll welcome your thoughts on that but will search for details, of course.

Thanks in advance.

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Default Re: Trim the bucket on 135?

That's one bigggg loader for that little 135.

The original owner of my 135 installed a hydraulic pump on the front of the engine to handle his FEL (don't know the size or manufacturer). I bought that 135 in 2006 from the second owner who said that the front-end pump caused the crankshaft to crack right inside the front main bearing. This happened around 3000 hours. Engine was rebuilt and showed 4600 hours when I bought it (it came without an FEL).

You can retrofit true power steering onto your 135 with this kit

Massey Ferguson Power Steering Conversion Kit VPJ4051 135 240 240s w Perkins | eBay

Looks like you might need it with that big FEL hanging on the front.

Good luck.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Massey 2135, Sears Lawntractor

If you want to modify the bucket, would you gain much by chopping it down?

You might consider a light duty bucket, and thus keep the cubic capacity, while lightening the load on the tractor and frame. Some online prices might be in the $ 700-1,500 range for a 72" wide for new.
    Or get a used one from a Bobcat, and add some ears for attachment

Tractor
    M-F 135 gas

Thanks!

My thoughts on trimming the bucket:
    - less weight of metal, and weight that is removed comes from the far end. Not sure how much that would add up.
    - less capacity to get into trouble. Though I don't move all that much material ... just as often I'm putting a chain on something to pick it up. But making the bucket shorter brings that chain closer.

Lighter duty bucket is a good idea.

On the power steering, I notice that listing is for Perkins diesel only, and mine is gas. I also notice they say not recommended for FEL. Wonder why? I looked through their ebay store and didn't see a kit for gas. I'll call them and keep searching.