Pto problems

/ Pto problems #2  
:welcome:

/ Pto problems #3  
P.t.o.has stopped working on 399 massey whats the solution

To start, I have no experience with a 399 since it was built in England. It may be very close in design with the 100 series tractors and will address your situation using the information I have gathered on those tractors and hopefully someone with better knowledge will post.
I checked Tractordata.com and found that your tractor has independent PTO. This means that the clutch is hydraulicly operated. According to the same website your tractor may have a high / low shift which on the older tractors was called "Multipower". Do you have this feature? The 100 series tractors were available with independent PTO and independent PTO with Multipower. If you have both Multipower and independent PTO, they are likely powered from a common auxiliary pump mounted on top of the main hydraulic pump in the differential.

First, is your transmission / differential fluid to the proper level and in good condition? If you have the power shift feature, does it work properly? If it doesn't work, and the PTO doesn't work it indicates the pump is likely bad or the relief valve could be stuck. If the power shift works it may be the valve for the independent PTO not working properly or the PTO clutch is bad. On the cover for the PTO lever is there a fitting? If there is, this is probably a place a pressure gage can be hooked to check the auxiliary pump pressure. You will need to get a service manual for this tractor to give you all the needed pump pressure levels needed to properly operate all the options on the tractor. Hope this gives you a starting point and someone else will help out with more detailed information.

namyessam

/ Pto problems #4  
Looking further into your problem and have been looking at a parts breakdown for your tractor. There are two different breakdowns based on serial numbers and I'm not sure which tractore you have but I don't see an auxiliary pump shown for your tractor, so it would seem that the independent PTO and power shift may run off your main hydraulic pump. So does your three point hitch have enough power to pick up a heavy implement. You could check the main pump hydraulic pressure at a remote if you have one or there should be a plug on the lift cover where you could install a gage. I think there should be some sort of pressure relief for the independent PTO hydraulic circuits. I don't believe they require the same high pressure the three point lift requires. Are you sure all the linkages are connected properly. I see that there are several styles depending on cab or no cab.

It's really important for you to get a repair manual so you can check out the systems properly.
Check your hydraulic filter in the differential to see if it is plugged.
Good Luck
namyessam

/ Pto problems #6  
Had a problem with my 175. Independent pto with aux pump to engage the clutch pack. Problem I was having is the pto would run then stop intermittently. After tearing entire aux and main hydraulic system apart, I finally found the aux pressure control spool had some junk that would hold it open and drop pressure to the clutch pack. The control spool is located behind the clutch and the engine will need to be split from the tranny to get to it. Easy way to see if your equipped like I was is to look for an oil cooler in front of the radiator. If I remember right, all multi power units have a similar control spool that also controls that pto pack pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet