MF65 rear bearing HELP

/ MF65 rear bearing HELP #1  

wyndsurfr

Tractor
kubota l175 , MF65
Hey folks, wondering if someone can give me a little guidance BEFORE I tear into this critter so I know where to look and have an idea of what is going on... I've got an old diesel MF65, I have to replace a few things in the rear end. 1. The right hand brake is weird and way too stiff while not doing anything to actually stop the tractor, I have to get in there and find out what is wrong with it. 2. the right hand axle is leaking fluid out of the weep hole in the axle housing as well as from the right hand brake actuater, so I need to find out which seal is leaking and why (maybe this is related to the problem with the brake not working). 3. I was told to push on the top of the rear tire to test the bearings, I get quite a bit of movement there so I would imagine that means the bearings are bad... which ones?

I have a nice service manual that has helped me very well in replacing and adjusting my clutch as well as a few other maintenance things, I'd like to get these things figured out before I start working her again this year, tractor fluid is too expensive to have it leaking out every where I go!

anyhow, I hope to find a little guidance and advice here... I think I might should only work on one side at a time rather than remove both rear tires, does that sound like a reasonable approach? I am a little skittish of the tractor rotating on the front axle pivot with both rear tires removed at the same time...

Thanks in advance!

/ MF65 rear bearing HELP #2  
Hey folks, wondering if someone can give me a little guidance BEFORE I tear into this critter so I know where to look and have an idea of what is going on... I've got an old diesel MF65, I have to replace a few things in the rear end. 1. The right hand brake is weird and way too stiff while not doing anything to actually stop the tractor, I have to get in there and find out what is wrong with it. 2. the right hand axle is leaking fluid out of the weep hole in the axle housing as well as from the right hand brake actuater, so I need to find out which seal is leaking and why (maybe this is related to the problem with the brake not working). 3. I was told to push on the top of the rear tire to test the bearings, I get quite a bit of movement there so I would imagine that means the bearings are bad... which ones?

I have a nice service manual that has helped me very well in replacing and adjusting my clutch as well as a few other maintenance things, I'd like to get these things figured out before I start working her again this year, tractor fluid is too expensive to have it leaking out every where I go!

anyhow, I hope to find a little guidance and advice here... I think I might should only work on one side at a time rather than remove both rear tires, does that sound like a reasonable approach? I am a little skittish of the tractor rotating on the front axle pivot with both rear tires removed at the same time...

Thanks in advance!

There are I think 4 balls in the actuator that will get rusted up and make it hard for the brakes to work. As far as the seal you will destroy the bearing trying to get the bearing off to replace the seal.it is the outer bearing . If you pull both side take small block of 2x4s and drive them front axle and frame to keep it steady.

/ MF65 rear bearing HELP
There are I think 4 balls in the actuator that will get rusted up and make it hard for the brakes to work. As far as the seal you will destroy the bearing trying to get the bearing off to replace the seal.it is the outer bearing . If you pull both side take small block of 2x4s and drive them front axle and frame to keep it steady.

I think I still have the blocks in the front axle from when I replaced the clutch. I've only driven it out of the shop to turn it around so I can work on the back easier. So the outer bearings are the ones that would make the wobble when you push in the tops of the tires? That'll help so at least I'll know which ones to look at... So you think the brake problem is a rusty mechanism and doesn't have anything to do with the fluid?

/ MF65 rear bearing HELP #4  
G'day winsurfr.

May I take this opportunity to Welcome you to the forum and I am sure you will find all the help and advice you need to keep the old 65 Working.

You mention you have a manual ,if you study it you will see that the tractor has Reduction hubs / Epicycle units taking the drive from, the gearbox to the rear axles along the way passing through the inboard disc brake units.

Firstly may I say that it is most important that any wedge/ block etc that is placed between the front axle and the axle housing is REMOVED before you move the tractor otherwise there is a real possibility that you could crack the cast iron axle housing especially if you were to travel over uneven ground.

The brakes:
The brakes on the 65 are originally Dry discs and on the whole are reliable and work very well ,but like most things mechanical they wear out to the point where they need attention ,as in your case oil leaks and contamination .

The job you are about to do is indeed I suppose like most Mechanical type work involving heavy items potentially dangerous and so long as you approach the job with a specific task in mind and the task is broken down into easy uncomplicated operations ,the risk will be minimised .
before you start you need to, KEEP ANYONE NOT INVOLVED WELL AWAY, Especially Children.

Have the use of a hydraulic floor jack ,a Concrete floor to work from will also help and a chain block or something to help when removing replacing the rear assembly.

You will be replacing seals and most likely bearings so the first thing you should be aware of is $$$$$ it is going to cost a bit of money which ever way you go.

First step is to secure the tractor chock both the front wheels and the front axle pivot point note before driving in wedges make sure the tractor is as Level as possible this will make the job easier .
Remove the mudguard and any wiring,remove the brake rod,Completly.

Jack the rear of the tractor up ,under the drawbar frame and slightly towards the side you are removing, if the tractor has cast wheel centres you are dealing with something that could weigh around 500/700 kilograms either wrap a suitable sling THROUGH the wheel assembly and lift of with chainblock or other suitable lifting gear or Walk the wheel off being carefull to keep it as upright as possible.
Drain all oil from the transmission and rear compartment ,Two drain plugs.
Support the rear end of the tractor using a suitable stand , undo all bolts holding the rear axle ASSEMBLY to the transmission housing leaving two at the top to hold everything together , use a chainblock or other lifting device that is controllable bearing in mind you do not want to damage threads on studs etc put an oil drip tray underneath the join as you will get a wee bit of oil leaking out when you remove the assembly, when rigged up and ready to lift off undo the remaining bolts and remove the complete unit .

Once removed Stand it up on end that is with the reduction unit /wheel end sitting on a nice big wooden board .
Remove the two countersunk head screws that hold the inner brake disc friction plate on ,lift the plate of and you can see everything inside .
undo and remove the brake adjusting nut, make sure you use plenty of penetrene otherwise you will snap the adjusting link.
undo the cast brake pivot housing two bolts and remove.
Remove the brake expander unit and discard, In my years of repairing Masseys I have found that It is less expensive to buy a kit which gives you ,two expanders and four new brake discs, this will guarantee that the brakes will operate 100 %.

Mark all parts of the reduction unit with a punch or ??? this will ensure everything goes back the same way undo and remove all bolts holding the assembly together and lift of the trumpet housing.
Remove the drive axle.

You are now into the epicycle, lift of the drive ring which will be marked then the hub with the gearset you are then left with the wheel/ hub carrier everything is held together with a large thick Circlip, remove the circlip and either press the stub shaft out or bump it apart on a block of wood, Clean,inspect and replace all necessary parts .
to reassemble and preload the epicycle you will have to reassemble and measure the grove width and buy the appropriate Circlip to give you the required end float more often than not you will find that if you replace both tapered roller bearings the endfloat will be within tolerance with the existing Circlip.
There are a few little things you will need to know that are not in the manual which we can talk about as you go .
Happy days .
again Welcome.:)
Hutch

/ MF65 rear bearing HELP
Hey, thanks :) I should have mentioned that I'm a pretty accomplished mechanic with a very nice shop but I don't take offense to the noob warnings anyhow :) I just flat forgot to remove those 2x4 blocks haha, I still don't have the sheet metal on the front of the beast after the clutch change.

I think I'll have to do this one side at a time, looks like one tire has fluid in it and the other doesn't... no way to jack the tractor up evenly, and yes these are the spinout wheels, probably very heavy. I do not have a chainfall and an arbor, but I do have a pretty decent engine hoist rated for 2 tons so I think it'll work for most of my lifting operations.

Good to know that I need to just count on replacing BOTH bearings, I'll go on and get those ordered asap. I started soaking everything I could see with some penetrating oil yesterday, hopefully it will make my job easier.... Luckily the reason I'm doing this is because of fairly massive fluid leaks that have been happening since before I bought the tractor last spring so all exposed bolts are fairly well oil coated and not rusty haha...

Thanks again, I'll tear into it either this afternoon or tomorrow, I seem to have pulled a muscle in my back doing something here on the farm, so... I may not start dealing with all that stuff till it feels a bit better or I can find a helper.

/ MF65 rear bearing HELP
I'll be lucky with the shape i'm in to just get one tire off today, looking at the axle housing I would assume the outer portion that contains the eliptical drive is the heavier end, how did you folks attach your lifting device (I'm using a cherry picker or also called an engine hoist kinda like a crane) to the axle housing to remove and replace it without having the unit flip or otherwise get all screwy? What I'm asking is if anyone remembers where the balance point is at for that thing? I was thinking of using the fender mounting brackets... I had a buddy come and help, hopefully the ol back will ease up a bit and I can finish the tear down tomorrow!

Last edited:
   / MF65 rear bearing HELP #7  
G'Day wyndsurfr.

I have been overseas for a while and have not been able to access the site , You have most likely removed the assembly by now but just in case you have not the point of balance is as you said just in front of the fender mounting bolts .
Happy Days.
Hutch.

/ MF65 rear bearing HELP #8  
Hi all,
I have the same problem with the rear wheel wobble on my MF 65 D high clearance. I took the wheel off & foud the end of the axle totatlly destroyed, no circlip left, bearing rollers everywhere. I obtained a complete used hub & bolted it in but I I can still feel a tiny bit of wobble when I push the wheel on the side. The top of the tyre moves about 3 mm. Is that too much & can I shim it ?
Thank you

/ MF65 rear bearing HELP #9  
G'day mfume.
First welcome to the forum and I am sure you will find a lot of help within.

Three mm at the top of the wheel is acceptable unless there is an oil leak I would leave it .
If Need be the end float/ bearing preload is achieved by assembling the hub and seating the both inner and outer tapered roller bearings ,measuring the amount of EXPOSED circlip grove and buying a circlip .004 Inches less than the measurement achieved so that when installed this will give you the correct running clearance on the bearing.
Note : As I am sure you have noticed the "Circlip" is reasonably unique in that it is rectangular in section and has no "Ears", (not sure if they are still available) but were supplied in different thicknesses to allow you to adjust the running clearance of the assembly.

Just as a point of interest the circlip/ retaining clip actually stops the complete wheel and hub assembly from becoming detached from the tractor!!.

Hope This helps.
Again Welcome to the Forum.
Hutch.

/ MF65 rear bearing HELP #10  
G'day shona13,
Thanks very much for the welcome & info, very much appreciated.
re the circlip/ retaining clip actually stops the complete wheel and hub assembly from becoming detached from the tractor!!.
Looks like I've been extremely fortunate with the rear wheel remaining in place on the last few trips to the boat ramp.