MF 222 backhoe on a MF 203 Workbull

/ MF 222 backhoe on a MF 203 Workbull #1  

MF Workbull

Tractor
MF 203
I am trying to get to the large ball bearing on the bottom of the mast frame where the backhoe boom pivots. The problem I'm having is I can't figure out how to remove the rotary cylinder out of the rotary cylinder adapter. I can raise it about 1.5" but it needs to be higher to clear the adapter. I'm also wondering if I'm the only one on this planet that has tried to replaced that bearing!

/ MF 222 backhoe on a MF 203 Workbull
Well, after a good lunch to refuel, I finally got it up....the rotary cylinder, that is! Now I can't get the adapter plate off of the two dowels but the red wrench should help there. I can see the remains of the bearing and pieces are falling out.

Last edited:
Here's whats left of the bearing....just the outside race. Now, how to get it out. Probably easier then posting pictures!

Attachments

• DSC01162.jpg
    DSC01162.jpg
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 1,751
   / MF 222 backhoe on a MF 203 Workbull #5  
You may need to chisel it out. In many cases this works. Does your manual suggest a installation procedure? Take another picture but zoom out. I'd like to see just where this is your working on. BTW welcome to TractorByNet. -kid

The large yellow piece in the middle is what supports the backhoe and allows the BH to pivot L & R (boom can be seen in lower RH corner). That lower bearing is over 5" OD by almost 2" thick so I don't think I'll go at it with a chisel. Torch, maybe, but I'm going to try to press/pull it out the same way I removed the worn out upper bearing.

Attachments

• DSC01163.jpg
    DSC01163.jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 1,010
   / MF 222 backhoe on a MF 203 Workbull #7  
Now that I understand the scale I'll agree. A chisel probably won't touch it. Good luck with it -kid

The good news is that I was able to remove the remains of the bearing. The bad news is the replacement bearing is too small on it's OD and simply falls through the opening. ID and overall thickness of the new one seems correct so now I don't know what to do.:banghead: Also, for what its worth, I got the part number from AGCO and it cross referenced to this new bearing from NAPA for $160.00. The same part # from local Massey dealer goes for $470.00. Could that be the difference, I wonder.

Last edited:
The bearing from Massey is the very same one I got from NAPA (shame on MF for charging SO much!) So, now I don't know what to do. The parts guy at Massey said he'll look further into it. I sure hope this is not the end of the backhoe. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

/ MF 222 backhoe on a MF 203 Workbull #10  
How did you get the bottom pin out? I spent all day Saturday trying to figure out how that pin comes out. I'm in the same boat you are. Top bearing is bad and now I suspect the bottom is as well. Is that pin two pieces? Screwed together? Can you post a picture of that pin? I have the cylinder out and your pictures are the exact backhoe I'm working on. Just can't figure out what it's going to take to get that pin out...