35 Massey front spindle removal?

/ 35 Massey front spindle removal? #1  

bob2299

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat ct230, 35 hp Massey Furgeson 3Cyl Diesel
does any one know how to remove the spindle, I have removed the wheel and the wheel hub ( I will replace these bearing also), but now I would like to remove the spindle, I have removed the bolt on the top link and then I tried to hit the spindle down, but it goes down about 1/4 inch and stops, I do not want to break any thing, I know their is a key way and I can see the key going down, I do not know how to remove the key before hitting the spindle down

any help please.

Also, I tried to search for this topic in the search menu, on the top bar using

35 Massey front spindle and could not find any thing, oh no alot of stuff showed up but not what I was looking for, how do we search on this site thnx.

/ 35 Massey front spindle removal? #2  
I have a 65 and I'm pretty sure the key had to come out before the spindle would slide out. I'd imagine the 35 is the same way.

When I took mine apart I had to use quite a bit of heat and I also put a gear puller on the top link.
Hope that helps and good luck.

/ 35 Massey front spindle removal?
my spindle moves up and down, i suspect the key is holding it, I just dont know how to remove the key from the keyway

the key only stick out about 1/8 of an inch not enough to grab it with pliers, i did try hitting the spindle down, it moves about 1/4 inch then, nothing, i will try to hit the stering arm up and see what happens

thnx

/ 35 Massey front spindle removal? #4  
G'day Bob you have prob done this by now but the top arm has to come off first to remove the key. then the spindle should drop out. After you fit the new bushes you will have to ream them out to fit the spindle.

Jon

/ 35 Massey front spindle removal?
Yes, it is done, but thank you
And you are right, the trick is to hit the top arm up, and not hit the spindle down,
I have not yet received the spindle repair kit, but it is ordered, my spindle are rusted and pitted quite a bit, but I am hopping I can still use them, i will see once I get the parts

Thnx