TO-35 Carburetor Leaking

/ TO-35 Carburetor Leaking #1  

spsteve

Tractor
Massey Harris Ferguson TO-35, CNH Boomer 8N
My TO-35 (gas) tractor has begun leaking gas from the carburetor.

This started after I began using a 4 foot rototiller which is a bit of a bone shaker.

I see that there are rebuilding kits for the carb and even a complete replacement available.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

/ TO-35 Carburetor Leaking
Since the carb is leaking I am thinking that the float may be damaged and I don't see that included with any of the rebuild kits.

Looks like that ethanol is taking it's toll.

/ TO-35 Carburetor Leaking #3  
It could be as simple as tightening down the screws that hold the upper body and the fuel bowl together or it may just need a new gasket. By a carb kit and some carb cleaner, disassemble it soak it in carb cleaner at least 24 hours, blow the passages out with compressed air and make sure they are clear, then reassemble with the new parts.

/ TO-35 Carburetor Leaking #4  
Ditto that... rarely do floats go bad over night.

besides. you may open it up and see the flaot hinge pin half out and the problem is obvious.

pull float and shake it. if it sloshes.. it has a pin hole.

you can take a jar of heated water and submerge float in it. if it has a pin hole it wil make a micro trail of bubbles.

i like to take carb drains out and fuel line off and iuse carb cleane rin a can and blow thru a few blasts to make sure nothing is lodged.

also can drain fuel from bowl and line into a jar and look for debris.

they are not too bad to fix if pin holed.. but lets not get ahead of ourselves. the rattling from tilling might have knocked a spec of dirt loose that is holding the needle valve open..

/ TO-35 Carburetor Leaking #5  
Check the fuel line if metal going to the carb. Those are flared lines and could get jarred loose. It should have a copper or steel line from the tank fuel cutoff to the carb. -kid

Sent via Ipad2

/ TO-35 Carburetor Leaking #6  
It could be as simple as tightening down the screws that hold the upper body and the fuel bowl together or it may just need a new gasket. By a carb kit and some carb cleaner, disassemble it soak it in carb cleaner at least 24 hours, blow the passages out with compressed air and make sure they are clear, then reassemble with the new parts.
Jerry, some time ago I bought my wife one of those Harbour Freight ultrasonic cleaners so she could clean her jewelry. She found out it wasn't good for the mountings so I inherited it. I found a real good job for it. I put a petroleum based card cleaner in it and clean my small carbs with it. It works great and makes rebuilding much easier. The bigger the tank, the bigger the carb you can submerge. -kid

/ TO-35 Carburetor Leaking
Everything is all better now. Thanks for the tips.

I bought a rebuild kit on ebay for $25.

It took a while to get the carb off as it has been on for a while.

What a pleasure to work on.

Pretty amazing that this one barrel carb with three moving parts runs this tractor forever.

Thoroughly cleaned the carb inside and out with carb cleaner, tested the float (ok), changed whatever parts came with the kit, slapped it back on and it started like on those old mower commercials - on the first pull (crank).

No more leaking gas on the ground.

Now if only I can get my Boomer 8N to cooperate, but that's another can of worms.

Thanks again.

/ TO-35 Carburetor Leaking #8  
yep.. these old girls CONSTANTLY amaze me..

/ TO-35 Carburetor Leaking #9  
I'm glad that you solved your carburetor problem . A leaking float valve is often the cause . I've also noticed on my Carter UT carburetor for my Ferguson TO-35 that the new float valve will seal for a few days, but then start to leak and flood the engine . That's happened repeatedly over the years, although it started when I installed the first Chinese rebuild kit. Nowdays, I just assume that the float valve will leak, and I use a fuel petcock at the carburetor inlet to shut off the fuel when the engine is not running. When I need to start or stop the engine, I open or close the petcock very quickly . Some day I may install a ball valve connected to a linkage , like the choke pull, so I can do everything from the operator's seat.