MF 35 Sucking Air ??!!

/ MF 35 Sucking Air ??!! #1  
Tractor
MF 35
Tractor: 1962 MF 35, Perkins 3cyl

Symptoms: Runs good for 1/2 hour to 1 hour, then the engine changes "pitch" and I can tell she's gonna shut down. Sometimes, if I give her FULL throttle I can keep it from shutting down.

Analysis: I crack the two bleeder screws on the fuel pump and their is always air bubbling out with the the fuel. To get the tractor started again, I usually have to crank about 15 times (5-10 seconds per crank). As a result of this excess cranking my electrical parts at the solenoid/starter are starting to melt and turn molten and fall off!!

Question: I really think air is getting sucked into the system and I'm curious where this is most likely happening, or do I need to go through the whole system? Or maybe I have no idea what's really going on and you guys can tell me!

/ MF 35 Sucking Air ??!! #2  
Tractor: 1962 MF 35, Perkins 3cyl

Symptoms: Runs good for 1/2 hour to 1 hour, then the engine changes "pitch" and I can tell she's gonna shut down. Sometimes, if I give her FULL throttle I can keep it from shutting down.

Analysis: I crack the two bleeder screws on the fuel pump and their is always air bubbling out with the the fuel. To get the tractor started again, I usually have to crank about 15 times (5-10 seconds per crank). As a result of this excess cranking my electrical parts at the solenoid/starter are starting to melt and turn molten and fall off!!

Question: I really think air is getting sucked into the system and I'm curious where this is most likely happening, or do I need to go through the whole system? Or maybe I have no idea what's really going on and you guys can tell me!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...intage/278133-troubleshooting-my-mf-35-a.html Have you revisited your thread from 4-27-13?? sounds like the same problems. Hutch gave a very detailed troubleshooting plan. I would start there.

/ MF 35 Sucking Air ??!!
   / MF 35 Sucking Air ??!! #4  
On top of the filter base there is a constant bleed fitting that may be plugged, allowing trapped air that should go out at the filter base to go into the injection pump, causing it to shutdown. Another cause may be the tank cap is not venting anymore, no air in, no fuel out.

/ MF 35 Sucking Air ??!!
I believe the problem is solved!!

1) The gasket at the fuel bowl wasn't allowing for an air tight seal, had to get a thicker one.
2) The little rubber gasket thing in the pipe that fuel flows out the the fuel bowl area to the filters was crushed, and appeared to be possibly restricting the flow of fuel.

I've been running it hard for way longer than it used to run for and so far so good.

I did check out the screen in the fuel tank,and the screen at the fuel pump return (I think, maybe it was coming from the filters)...anyways, that screen was perfectly clean. The tank did have some crud in it that I cleaned out.

Thanks for the support guys!
Best.

/ MF 35 Sucking Air ??!! #6  
Glad to hear that!