MF 135 throttle adjustment

/ MF 135 throttle adjustment #1  

rnh1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
I have a 135 diesel that seems to lose rpms gradually Tach doesn't work so I don't know how much 165s had an adjustment does 135 also?

/ MF 135 throttle adjustment #2  
Go to www.agcopartsbook.com and put in the info to lookup your tractor. The 135 had a friction disc that could be adjusted to maintain throttle RPM's. Could just need adjusting a bit. The agco site will show exploded view of all areas of your tractor along with part numbers. Your tach cable could be broken. Look for that part number as well while your there.

/ MF 135 throttle adjustment #3  
I have the gas version in my MF 135 (AG3-152) but the diesel may have a similar mechanism. I had both problems.

When I first got the tractor I noticed the tach 'jump' just a wee bit now and then and figured the cable must have broken at some point. I replaced the cable and now I have a working tach. Got the cable on eBay for about $23. The cable had parted about 4" away from the engine and would randomly catch the two parted ends causing the jump.

The throttle mechanism on my tractor had "a missing spring" according to the guy I bought it from. I looked at how it all went together and noticed a short little arm that apparently was there for a spring assist of some type. I added a spring but still had a 'fade-away' throttle condition. Taking the advice form the good members here I adjusted the tension on the friction plate by loosening a nut (or two) and adding more compression on the spring. This pushes on the cork friction disc thus creating greater resistance to slippage.

Unfortunately in my case, someone may have oiled the cork at some point as it still slips although it will now hold it in a 'half throttle condition' which is way better than before. I haven't had time to revisit the mechanism to either clean or replace the cork, but it's 'on the list'. So basically, oil is not your friend near the cork disc.

/ MF 135 throttle adjustment #4  
Hi There I have an older 135 that has similar throttle fade.
Can anyone tell me if the throttle lever moves when it fades?
Mine is not moving but it slows down under load.
Im thinking injector pump?
Thanks

/ MF 135 throttle adjustment #5  
Dirty fuel filters or debris blocking the fuel line can make the throttle do all kinds of weird things including revving up and not coming back to idle. I have a problem with a bunch of crud in the tank, probably rust because I had a lot of water in the fuel. I think I got a bad load of diesel at some point.