Ferguson F40 / MH50 / MF50 position and draft lever operation

/ Ferguson F40 / MH50 / MF50 position and draft lever operation #1  

Liverider2003

Tractor
1957 ferguson f-40
Hello Folks. New here. Nice forum!

I have a question about how to properly operate the levers on my tractor.

Picked up a 1957 Ferguson F40 back in December and have been slowly getting it into shape. Everything is great...except the lift wasn't working properly.

It would only go up and down with the draft control lever. Position control lever did nothing. After lots of reading on here(mostly about problems people had with their MF 135's) I figured out that it was a problem with the linkages under the lift cover.

So this afternoon I removed the cover and properly adjusted the linkages according to the I&T manual. Put it back together. Now the position control lever seems to work perfectly.

Ok...so the Position Quadrant is labeled as follows:
On the position control side(innermost part of the quadrant) - near the top/rearward most part, there is the word "UP". Then further forward on the quadrant is the word "POSITION", on either of which is an arrow(indicating up and down motion of the lift). Then the word "DOWN". Toward the bottom of the quadrant(foremost position) is the word "RESPONSE". Above response, toward the rear of the quadrant, it says "FAST". Below, it says "SLOW".

Ok...the Draft Quadrant is labeled as follows:
Toward the top/rearward most part, is the word "DRAFT". Either side of that word are arrows...one pointing rearward and one pointing forward. Slightly below the word "DRAFT" there are two round punch marks. And that is all that is on the Draft quadrant.

So I have been reading about lift problems...like I said, mostly concerning the 135 model because those posts are more plentiful.
On the operation of those, I have read that when using non-ground engaging implements where draft control isn't needed...such as a rotary cutter...the draft lever should be all the way to the rear/all the way up...and the position control lever will operate the up and down motion needed.

My F40, on the other hand, seems to be different. If I pull the Draft lever all the way back/up and try to use the position control to lower the lift...it will not lower(400 LB flail mower attached).
Remember I mentioned two Punch marks on the draft quadrant. They are spaced apart about an inch to an inch and a half....as if to indicate a section of the quadrant to move the draft lever to.
So when I move the draft lever between the Punch marks...the Position control lever operates as it should, controlling the up and down motion and will hold a certain elevated position as needed.

Does this sound right? I just want to make sure it is working as it is supposed to work and that to am operating it properly.

Also, is there a way to test the draft control without actually having to use a moldboard plow or something?

Thanks for reading,
Corey

/ Ferguson F40 / MH50 / MF50 position and draft lever operation #2  
Cory,
Good information, I've got the same issue with my F40. I was told that part of my problem at least was worn out cylinders. It tries to lift but won't lift my mower completely and just shutters about half way up.

On another topic I've been trying to no avail to find the throttle linkage part that connects the hand throttle lever to the transition part that connect to the rod going to the carb. I've looked at various sites and it is never shown and I've spent about an hour at a dealer who was kind enough to go through endless pages of parts books with no luck. It's the short little part that has movable ends on it. Does yours have the same set up? If so have you ever replaced it and if so where did you get it?

Thanks
Phil