Massey Ferguson 85 injection pump

/ Massey Ferguson 85 injection pump #1  

Eyecatcher

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar EX450, Ford 8N/2N, Case 580C backhoe, Massey 185
Trying to start an old Massey 85 we bought for a project. Have bled fuel all the way to the injector pump, but cannot get fuel through the pump. Need a parts breakdown and probably a manual. Anybody out there help me?

/ Massey Ferguson 85 injection pump #2  
For a parts breakdown go to AGCO Parts Books log in as guest user (click on the view books button), then you search for parts using the tractor model number. If the tractor has been sitting a while the injector pump could have something sticking internally, preventing getting any fuel out the injector pump.

/ Massey Ferguson 85 injection pump
Been doing a lot of reading, and looks like going into the pump may not be that difficult. If I can find a kit that includes orings etc.,, I'll probably do that. No good like it is, and I'm not going to invest in a pump rebuild right now, Tractor is till setting on the trailer, until it runs and we make the decision to continue working on it, it can still go to the scrap yard very easily. Looking at ebay, there may be a market for parting it out.

/ Massey Ferguson 85 injection pump #4  
If you have pretty good mechanical abilities working on an injector pump is not that bad. Recently I re-sealed an injector pump, and it wouldn't pump anything out even though it was clean, and everything looked good, then tried this. With the injector pump off the engine made a bracket to hold the pump so the fuel supply, and return line can still be hooked to the tractor, took a 3/8" impact on the lowest setting with an extension on it. Held the extension tight with one had, and spun the injector pump over with it (in the normal direction of the rotation of the injector pump), and light hits from the impact the injector pump freed up, and started to shoot fuel out the pump like it should. Put it back on the tractor, bled the injector lines, it fired up, and ran fine. You maybe able to do that without unsealing the pump.

/ Massey Ferguson 85 injection pump
Got the injection pump off the old 85 yesterday. Supposed to be timed at 20btdc. As near as we could tell, with #1 on compression stroke, the lines in the injection pump window lined up at 29 degrees. We pulled the pump and advanced the flywheel to 20 degrees, and the t slot on the pump drive should have been perpendicular to the block but was off by about 15 degrees. Disassembled the pump today, and it's pretty obvious it hasn't run for quite a while. lots of water and "jelly". Fuel regulator valve was stuck closed, and hi pressure pump pistons were stuck. Weill give it it's second cleaning and inspection tomorrow, and see where we go from here. The timing think kind of has me stumped.