3-Point Hitch just bought a MF 20 I need advice

/ just bought a MF 20 I need advice #1  

dodgemjoe

Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF 20
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum posting but have used your site for many items on my Ford 9N. I just bought a 1969 MF 20 tractor loader. The tractor has the perkins 3 cyl. diesel engine. I got a great deal on the tractor but there was an issue with it. The 3 pt hitch is in operable. The raise and lower is stuck and doesn't move. The draft lever moves but with no effect. When the tractor is running the hydraulic fluid looks milky or foaming. The pto easily engages easy and works properly. The loader operates as it should. Previous owner said he never used the 3 pt hitch. I would appreciate any direction on this matter. What would be the proper step to determine the problem.

Thank in advance. Joe

/ just bought a MF 20 I need advice #2  
The MF20 is a industrial MF135. I would try to spray the position control lever with a penetrating oil (PB Blaster and try that) If that does not work I would disassemble the control quadrant.

Last edited:
   / just bought a MF 20 I need advice
The MF20 is a industrial MF135. I would try to spray the position control lever with a penetrating oil (PB Blaster and try that) If that does not work I would disassemble the control quadrant.

Thanks sportsman for the reply. I think there is some other issues also I can lift the 3 pt arms up with no resistace . there is a sound like something is disconeccted in the housing I'm going to drain some oil and open the inspection cover tomorrow. I think I will find what ever connects to the lift arms broken from the lift cylinder. I do have to get a service manual any suggestions on which one to get. I've seen the IT manuals and the regular Massey manuals which is the best. Thanks in advanced

/ just bought a MF 20 I need advice #4  
I too am a first time Massey owner. I just bought an ol model 85 I'm working on. I thought something was broken because I can lift the three point up by hand with very little resistance. They tell me that is normal, the three point cylinder operates a cam arrangement that lifts the arms but they free fall down. I just bought a CD reproduction IT manual for mine, and I'm very satisfied with it.

Thanks eyecatcher that's great to know I'm going to try and get the control lever to free up and go from there. I do not want to make a mountain out of a mole hill

/ just bought a MF 20 I need advice #7  
You should be able to lift a 3pt up by hand. 3pts do not have down pressure and can float up. If you cannot lift he 3pt all the way through its motion by hand then you have problems.

I can lift the 3 pt up by hand I have used a whole can of pb blaster and cannot get the position lever to free up. Will I need to take the top plate off to free up the position lever.

/ just bought a MF 20 I need advice #9  
I would see if you can disassemble the lever quadrant to free up the position lever first. Then if need be take the top cover off.

/ just bought a MF 20 I need advice #10  
The top cover has to come off, get a manual, and study it before taking it apart.