Is #1 cylinder on a continental alwas in the rear?

/ Is #1 cylinder on a continental alwas in the rear? #1  

Eyecatcher

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar EX450, Ford 8N/2N, Case 580C backhoe, Massey 185
Working on Continental HD277 diesel in a Massey 85. Trying to time injection pump, to 20 BTDC as per manual, and it just doesn't work. I know that some of the old F series Continentals timed to #1 being in the rear. Anyone know if the 277 times to the rear cylinder?

/ Is #1 cylinder on a continental alwas in the rear? #2  
I'm familiar with the Z series Continental engines and #1 cylinder is nearest the radiator. I never heard of any engine having #1 at the rear but anything is possible.

/ Is #1 cylinder on a continental alwas in the rear? #3  
I'm familiar with the Z series Continental engines and #1 cylinder is nearest the radiator. I never heard of any engine having #1 at the rear but anything is possible.

Some IH V-8 gassers were numbered non-traditionally, but I never heard of or experienced Continental doing that.

/ Is #1 cylinder on a continental alwas in the rear? #4  
Working on Continental HD277 diesel in a Massey 85. Trying to time injection pump, to 20 BTDC as per manual, and it just doesn't work. I know that some of the old F series Continentals timed to #1 being in the rear. Anyone know if the 277 times to the rear cylinder?

I've run into Continental engines with the rear cylinder being #1, but wouldn't know if thats the case for your particular model. The ones I ran into were gasoline.

Brian

/ Is #1 cylinder on a continental alwas in the rear? #5  
With Continental there's no telling.

/ Is #1 cylinder on a continental alwas in the rear?
Not having any luck timing inj pump to #1 being in front. Diesel expert indicated that it might be in the rear. We'll give it a try this weekend.

/ Is #1 cylinder on a continental alwas in the rear? #7  
It's worth a shot.

/ Is #1 cylinder on a continental alwas in the rear?
Supposed to time 20BTDC according to manual. Problem is, manual doesn't tell you where #1 is. Right now, it won't fire a lick. Before pulling the pump, we had the timing marks on the pump lined up, and degree wheel on flywheel said 29BTDC. We though we had it on #1. We have pulled the rocker cover to insure #1 was on compression stroke, but manual shows the drive slot for the pump being perpindicular to the block. It's not, it's about 10 - 20 degrees off. I know that Continental made some gas engines that showed #1 away from radiator end. Gonna try timing to what we now know as #4 and see what happens.

/ Is #1 cylinder on a continental alwas in the rear? #10  
Did you get this figured out?