mf 175 hydraulic issues

/ mf 175 hydraulic issues #1  

dave strunk

Tractor
mf 175
hello all , 1st post here but i visit this site regularly for info on my 1969 mf 175 when problems arise i turn here its been a very good site for information i searched an found similar articles but not what im looking for info. Here is the problem i bought the tractor and it has a loader,loader worked but the three point did not so i used it for awhile till i got time to tear it done found out the lift cylinder was cracked so bought one installed it an now the three point works but it only works with the controls that run the bucket(nothing on the quadrant will lift the three point) the controls are mounted to the top of the lift cover,do i need a isolator valve in between the lift cover an loader controls,or what do i need to make this work any info will help i followed the manual as it stated thanks for any info

/ mf 175 hydraulic issues #2  
hello all , 1st post here but i visit this site regularly for info on my 1969 mf 175 when problems arise i turn here its been a very good site for information i searched an found similar articles but not what im looking for info. Here is the problem i bought the tractor and it has a loader,loader worked but the three point did not so i used it for awhile till i got time to tear it done found out the lift cylinder was cracked so bought one installed it an now the three point works but it only works with the controls that run the bucket(nothing on the quadrant will lift the three point) the controls are mounted to the top of the lift cover,do i need a isolator valve in between the lift cover an loader controls,or what do i need to make this work any info will help i followed the manual as it stated thanks for any info

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ey-150-strange-hydraulic-issues-new-post.html Check out this thread, I think you have similar issues. If this doesn't help, I'll need more information on your hydraulic valve that runs the loader and how it is hooked to the tractor. What type of loader do you have hydraulic lift with trip bucket, or hydraulic lift with hydraulic tip and rollback?? I won't be able to get back to this forum for a couple days so I hope the other thread helps.

/ mf 175 hydraulic issues
thanks for the reply yes the thread did help some,here's were i'm at the loader works as it should, but the three point still nothing.i did hold the left spool valve back as the thread said still nothing at the 3pt i changed the o-rings in the system an the stand pipe still no pressure to the lift cyl what feeds the lift cyl ? or pressurizes the lift cly .the hyd valve is bolted on top of the lift cover,theres a pressure or return line that come out on the right side of the lift cover(same side as the quadrant controls) then goes to the back of the tractor to a set of remote outlets then back to the right front hyd fitting on the hyd valve that works the loader,the loader is hydraulic lift and tip an rollback no trip lever

Last edited:
   / mf 175 hydraulic issues #4  
I am trying to visualize in my mind how your system is hooked up. Pictures would help.

First of all, does your valve look like the valve in the thread I had you look at? Is it a single lever or two lever or even possibly three??

From what I am understanding is you have a Massey valve bolted to the lift cover in front of the seat between your legs. Is this correct? You also have an additional two spool valve to operate the loader. This valve is fed from the left hand side(edit I should have said right hand side) of the lift cover to a remote, then back to the additional valve to run the loader. There should also be a return line from the other side of the additional valve back to the other remote or returning to the differential case some how.

I am guessing that you have a single Massey valve on the top of the lift cover. With the additional valve being fed from the lift cover, What you have is an open center hydraulic system. This means that oil is pumped from the main pump in the differential to the top cover thru the standpipe and since the additional valve is open center, the oil is returning to tank unable to build pressure anywhere in the system until you pull a lever for the loader and of course the loader lift or bucket operates.

This is pure speculation since I am still not 100% sure of your hookups but, if you run the position and draft lever in the transport position, pull the right hand lever to the loader and hold it, once the loader cylinders reach maximum stroke, pull the left hand lever on the Massey valve, at the same time, I think the three point will raise.

What I am thinking is by holding the right hand lever for the loader, once the cylinders reach maximum stroke, it will block oil from returning to tank and thus build pressure in the three point circuit.

If this works, you could add a shuttle valve blocking oil from the loader circuit when you want to use the three point or feed the loader valve from the right hand side of your Massey valve if it is two spool. You could disconnect the hose to the loader valve and cap it and plug the lift cover and see if the three point operates properly. Good luck

Last edited:
yep it looks just like the one in the pictures with two handles but the only difference is that in the second pic on the first page of the thread i have a hyd line that comes out of the allen head bolt on the lift cover then runs back to a remote setup then back to the right front side of the valve guess what i,m getting at is why is there two pressure lines maybe one to run the remotes when i say two pressure lines is dont the massey valve get feed from the stand pipe? .,so what im going to do is get a hyd cover cap an see if the 3pt will work that way.

/ mf 175 hydraulic issues #6  
My brother bought a 135 that had the same problem with exact setup you have, someone have had the lift cover off long before he got it. My brother pulled the side cover, and whoever had the cover off didn't put some of linkage of the quadrant correctly, and a couple of pieces where missing making the quadrant useless. After pulling the top cover, fixing the linkage after getting the parts that were missing (along with new seals for the 3 pt lift cylinder while he had the cover off) the quadrant now works like it's supposed to.

/ mf 175 hydraulic issues #7  
yep it looks just like the one in the pictures with two handles but the only difference is that in the second pic on the first page of the thread i have a hyd line that comes out of the allen head bolt on the lift cover then runs back to a remote setup then back to the right front side of the valve guess what i,m getting at is why is there two pressure lines maybe one to run the remotes when i say two pressure lines is dont the massey valve get feed from the stand pipe? .,so what im going to do is get a hyd cover cap an see if the 3pt will work that way.

You should not be feeding the loader valve from the line on the side of the lift cover. You are correct that the Massey valve get fed from the stand pipe.(edit The hose coming from the loader valve to the Massey valve is obviously the return line to tank)

Am I correct you have another two spool valve to run the loader?

If so, remove the line from the side of the lift cover and connect it to the front of the right hand side of the Massey valve. Connect the line that was connected to the front of the valve to the rear of the right hand valve.

(edit You will need to confirm which port is pressurized when pulling the handle toward the seat. The important thing is that you run hydraulic fluid from the massey valve to the "in" port of the loader valve. If it is piped wrong or the valve lever is moved the wrong direction, the fluid will be flowing in the wrong direction putting pressurized oil in ports not designed for high pressure. It may be desirable to replace the Massey valve with a divirter valve to elliminate the confusion of which way to have each lever to operate either the three point or the loader. If you want to get it to operate without the extra cost of the divirter valve follow the following.)

You will have to then pull the right hand lever toward the seat to feed oil to your loader valve. Place the left hand valve in the center position to operate the loader. The position lever must be in the constant pumping position to operate the loader. To operate the three point, pull the left and hold it toward the seat and use the position or draft lever to operate the three point. If you leave the position lever in the constant pumping position using the three point, the left hand lever will pop back to center when the three point reaches its highest point. The right hand lever must be in the center to block the flow of oil to the loader valve.

There are switch valves on the front of the massey valve that if screwed in gently you can operate a double acting cylinder, screwed out gently to operate a single acting cylinder. Screw the right hand one in to operate the loader.

Last edited:
there only one two spool valve

i'm getting what ur throwing down Simassey i thank you for ur info i will keep trying i'm sure i'll get her fix

/ mf 175 hydraulic issues #10  
Old MF has a bit strange and odd setup when it comes to external hydraulics, if you don't have the optional aux pump you cant run ext hyd and use the original 3pt controls at the same time, its quite common to use an external valve to also control the 3pt as this is the only way to do it.