MF 150 Generator to Alternator

/ MF 150 Generator to Alternator #1  

crowbar032

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 150, TO-35, John Deere 5065E, Caterpiller 953 track loader, NH LS170 Skid Steer
I've fiddled around all summer with this thing. Battery dies, I charge, it works awhile then start the cycle over again. Now the battery is graveyard dead so I have to buy a battery either way. I'm pretty sure the generator needs rebuilt. My neighbor just had one done and it was ~$300. I'm thinking I'd be better off putting that $300 into an alternator conversion. So I've been google-ing around and browsing threads here on TBN but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone know of a kit that comes with all parts necessary to make this conversion (alternator, wiring, gauge)? I also want an alternator that will still allow the Tach to work, and I haven't found one of those either.

/ MF 150 Generator to Alternator #2  
Continental or Diesel engine???... I have a 135 Continental with the generator...the battery kept slowly running down...come to find out the light switch has a bleed in it.. I just unplugged the lightswitch...don't have a problem now..if I need the lights, I plug it back in...who knows.. could be your issue...by the way, I spent a bunch of time with a voltmeter adjusting the volt regulator till I got it where I want it...good luck. BobG in VA

/ MF 150 Generator to Alternator
Yeah, I forgot to add it's the Z134 4 cylinder continental. I suppose it's possible there is a ground in the light wiring somewhere. I have intentions of re-doing that wiring as part of this as various tree limbs/grape vines while bushhogging have pulled the warning flasher and rear work light off. I still strongly suspect the generator even given these things.

I have not checked the voltage regulator, but I intend to do that this weekend. Trying to google the best set of instructions on how to do it.

/ MF 150 Generator to Alternator #4  
Is your alternator a one wire or two. Most common GM alternators will work as one wire or two wire setup. If using two wires you will need to add an idiot light or you will have a small draw on the battery enough to drain it over a period of days. Single wire setup won't do that.

After doing some checking, an alternator that allowed a working tach is like a unicorn. I took the generator and voltage regulator to a rebuild shop. Both pieces tested bad. $225 for a rebuild of the generator and a new regulator. Issue closed for now.

/ MF 150 Generator to Alternator #6  
there are alts with tach drives.. but they are spendy.

are you SURE your gen rebuild is gonna be 300$?

i get ford gens and starters rebuilt for about 80$.. lucas too.. and they have the tech drives.

have you checked the gen? motor test and full field test.

might be a 25-50$ regulator..

I've fiddled around all summer with this thing. Battery dies, I charge, it works awhile then start the cycle over again. Now the battery is graveyard dead so I have to buy a battery either way. I'm pretty sure the generator needs rebuilt. My neighbor just had one done and it was ~$300. I'm thinking I'd be better off putting that $300 into an alternator conversion. So I've been google-ing around and browsing threads here on TBN but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone know of a kit that comes with all parts necessary to make this conversion (alternator, wiring, gauge)? I also want an alternator that will still allow the Tach to work, and I haven't found one of those either.

are you SURE your gen rebuild is gonna be 300$?

have you checked the gen? motor test and full field test.

might be a 25-50$ regulator..

There are only a few local places that still re-build stuff like this. Got the call yesterday that generator and voltage regulator were both bad. $225 for the rebuild and a new regulator.

/ MF 150 Generator to Alternator #8  
man that's an expensive rebuild!

man that's an expensive rebuild!

The $225 included the regulator which is $35 on-line. My neighbors Allis Chalmers D15 generator rebuild was $289 and didn't include the regulator. Unfortunately not too many places still do this kind of thing around here and I don't possess the skills to do it myself.