coil

/ coil #1  

hd5

Silver Member
Tractor
MF2705, MF135 XR4046H
I have a 1967 mf135 z145 continental. Having trouble getting the starter to turn over. Kept messing with the wires and after a while it would start. today it wouldn't start. I went back with all kind of tools and meter etc.
I noticed when I turned the key on ,a long spark would jump from the coil to one of the coil terminals.
Any idea why?

Checked everything I could with meter and checked connections. Fixed it by beating on the solenoid with a rusty railroad spike...... ordered a new solenoid.
But now,I am wondering why is a spark Jumping like that?

/ coil #2  
did you turn the key on then off and observe the spark jump when the key turned off?

kettering ignitions work when the primary is broken, after having been connected, letting the coil charge. normally it is the points breaking the primary.. etc. could even be very dirty points. or points that were closed just enough to conduct in a small area and it burned and arced then went open, then allowed the coil to make a discharge. if the rotor was not pointing at a plug tower, the gap was wide, so the spark found closest place to jump.. ( this is a bit of an oversimplification.. but just using it as a descriptive tool.. etc.. )

/ coil
I put a solid state ignition in it a few years ago. I guess I am getting senile. I can't remember what I put in there...
It sparked when I turned the key on. I think. I gotta check tomorrow night so I can say for sure.
Thanks much for your help.

/ coil #4  
I have a 1967 mf135 z145 continental. Having trouble getting the starter to turn over. Kept messing with the wires and after a while it would start. today it wouldn't start. I went back with all kind of tools and meter etc.
I noticed when I turned the key on ,a long spark would jump from the coil to one of the coil terminals.
Any idea why?

Checked everything I could with meter and checked connections. Fixed it by beating on the solenoid with a rusty railroad spike...... ordered a new solenoid.
But now,I am wondering why is a spark Jumping like that?

Are you having problems with the starter or ignition? Or both?

/ coil
Just the starter, I am hoping a new solenoid fixes it.

I just had the question, why was a long spark jumping from the end of the coil?
Which I would not have noticed if the starter had been working.
Every time I turned the key on I heard it pop and finally saw the spark.

/ coil
I ordered an new solenoid and it doesn't look a whole lot like the old one. It has two large terminals where my old one has one large and two small.
I should have got the number off the starter but didn't have glasses on.

Anyone else put an aftermarket solenoid on a 1967 Z145 Continental????

/ coil #7  
got a pic?

/ coil
got a pic?

s-l140.jpg
this is the new one obviously...

I can take a picture of the old one tonight. I need to know which wires to hook up. or if it will even work.
Last night I fixed it with a rusty cresent wrench.. a couple of good whacks on the solenoid and it fires right up. Who needs a new one anyway???

Thanks

/ coil #9  
the big posts will be bat and starter, at least one of the little posts will be key-start power