Smoke out and Fire

/ Smoke out and Fire #1  

Bigwoods

Tractor
135 Massey Ferguson
I have a gas MF 135. Been a great tractor. I was blowing snow and all the sudden my home made cab filled and I had to bale out. I shut off the key and gas. I had burned 3 or 4 wires under the dash. It looked like the main ignition wire had rubbed against the frame and shorted out.

I replaced the wires and cleaned things as I went. I was very pleased when I tried to start it and it popped right off so I let it idle for several minutes to warm up. I put tools away and had to drive the tract down the drive to pick up my snowblower where this first happened. At idle everything was good but I increased throttle to go a little faster and the same thing happened. Burned wires and smoke all over.

So I have to replace them again but was thinking maybe the alternator or the voltage regulator are damaged since it burned after increasing RPM maybe there was more juice..

So my question is do I need to replace a part? Maybe I should try to find a total new wiring harness.. Any ideas?

/ Smoke out and Fire #2  
Bigwoods I would check the voltage regulator but I may also look to see if the throttle is hitting a wire and as you increased the power pushed a live wire to ground.

/ Smoke out and Fire #3  
Bigwoods I would check the voltage regulator but I may also look to see if the throttle is hitting a wire and as you increased the power pushed a live wire to ground.

Good advice! i would bet something in the throttle linkage or something else is causing damage to the wires.

/ Smoke out and Fire
Thanks for the advice. The consensus is to replace the alternator with a GM unit with a built in regulator and replace the burned wires. So I am ready to pick up the alternator and wondered if anyone had a recommendation as to what unit to buy. I see some of the early one were about amps. Some cost a lot more than others.. What should I look for? Can't do it for a few day. Heading for -20 degrees tonight.

/ Smoke out and Fire
It warmed up enough to work on my 135. I am still melting snow in the ditches and have discovered that where ever I am, if there is any snow, I'll be in the middle of it.

I put the alternator on and replace all the wires that were burned. One I missed was running from the coil to the alternator across the motor. I cover that with a plastic flex sleeve. Totally burned and may have been the original culprit. There was what I thought was a resistor on it and I reused it. Seems ok.

Runs great. Alternator exciter works and I am happy again, cept for a slow leak in a front tire. Always something with an old machine, But I sure like my Massey.

/ Smoke out and Fire #6  
It warmed up enough to work on my 135. I am still melting snow in the ditches and have discovered that where ever I am, if there is any snow, I'll be in the middle of it.

I put the alternator on and replace all the wires that were burned. One I missed was running from the coil to the alternator across the motor. I cover that with a plastic flex sleeve. Totally burned and may have been the original culprit. There was what I thought was a resistor on it and I reused it. Seems ok.

Runs great. Alternator exciter works and I am happy again, cept for a slow leak in a front tire. Always something with an old machine, But I sure like my Massey.
Original alternator?