Comparison mf 35 or 135

/ mf 35 or 135 #1  

jag244

Tractor
x300 john deere
hello all. Newbie here was wondering which tractor would be the most bang for the buck massey 35 or 135 . the 35 has three cylinder perkins the 135 has gas engine ,i,m new at this tractor stuff any help would be much appreciated
kind regards jag244.

/ mf 35 or 135 #2  
either would be fine depending on CONDITION

/ mf 35 or 135 #3  
hello all. Newbie here was wondering which tractor would be the most bang for the buck massey 35 or 135 . the 35 has three cylinder perkins the 135 has gas engine ,i,m new at this tractor stuff any help would be much appreciated
kind regards jag244.

The 135 is the successor to the 35. Both are good tractors. I had a 1964 MF135 diesel with the Multipower transmission. Without MP the transmission is 6F/2R. With MP 12F/4R.

You can fix the carb on the 135 yourself. On the 35 diesel you'll need to take the high pressure fuel injection pump to a shop if you need it serviced or rebuilt.

Don't buy one of them unless it's running. Check for leaks. Check the exhaust color at startup and while the engine is warming up. Black means a possible fuel system problem. White means possible coolant leak into the cylinders. Blue means the engine is burning oil.

Make sure the 3-pt hitch and pto work properly.

Check the rear tires for excessive wear, cracking, dry rot. If the rears are filled with liquid (water, calcium chloride, windshield washer antifreeze, Rimguard (beet juice)), check for rusting on the rims, especially around the valve stem. Rears are generally filled about 80% full of liquid for increased traction.

If these tractors are in good shape, expect to pay $2000-3000 for the 35 diesel and $2500-4000 for the 135 gasser.

Test drive any tractor you're considering for purchase. Make sure the steering is OK. It's unlikely that these tractors will have true power steering. My 135 had "power assist" steering but it still was a bear to steer. You'll get a good upper body workout maneuvering these old tractor around your fields.

Good luck

/ mf 35 or 135 #4  
Both the 35 and the 135 had different models that had trans operated PTO or two stage PTO (live)...pick the "Delux" model is there is more than one as it has the two stage PTO...also the rear tires make at least a $1000 difference as that's about minimum to replace both of them if the current ones are crappy...Also, if either of the units have "Multi-power" suggest you don't buy that one, as if it goes out, or is already gone, its a bad thing to fix (read expensive)... BobG in VA

/ mf 35 or 135 #5  
What Bob said. Well, other guys are right to. You want a 2 stage clutch. I wouldnt take a multi power. Means nothing to me except higher repair costs or bypass at the cheap level. You may not be able to tell which is delux or not. Have the guy selling it to turn the pto on. Then push clutch 1/2 way or so down and pto should stop. The owner should know this I would hope.

/ mf 35 or 135 #6  
The MF135 Special and Deluxe both have the 6F/2R tranny. The Multipower option is available for the Deluxe (12F/4R).

Differential lock only on the Deluxe model.

Steering--Deluxe comes with either manual or power steering. Special only with manual steering.

PTO: Special has neutral and pto rpm proportional to engine rpm. The Deluxe model adds pto rpm proportional to ground speed.

The Special has a single-stage clutch (pedal to the floor disconnects both the tranny/rear wheels and the pto). The Deluxe has the two-stage clutch (clutch pedal half way down disconnects the tranny/rear wheels; pedal to the floor disconnects tranny/rear wheels and the pto).

Instruments: the Deluxe has tachometer, water temp, ammeter, oil pressure and fuel gauges and the gauges are illuminated. The Special only has the water temp and oil pressure gauges--not illuminated.

The older 135s have generators--I think MF went to alternators in 1969 and after.

Headlights are standard.

/ mf 35 or 135 #7  
The MF135 Special and Deluxe both have the 6F/2R tranny. The Multipower option is available for the Deluxe (12F/4R).

Differential lock only on the Deluxe model.

Steering--Deluxe comes with either manual or power steering. Special only with manual steering.

PTO: Special has neutral and pto rpm proportional to engine rpm. The Deluxe model adds pto rpm proportional to ground speed.

The Special has a single-stage clutch (pedal to the floor disconnects both the tranny/rear wheels and the pto). The Deluxe has the two-stage clutch (clutch pedal half way down disconnects the tranny/rear wheels; pedal to the floor disconnects tranny/rear wheels and the pto).

Instruments: the Deluxe has tachometer, water temp, ammeter, oil pressure and fuel gauges and the gauges are illuminated. The Special only has the water temp and oil pressure gauges--not illuminated.

The older 135s have generators--I think MF went to alternators in 1969 and after.

Headlights are standard.

Note that the MF 135 Deluxe also has an independent PTO option (IPTO: the PTO can be operated independently of the transmission clutch). IPTO models have two clutches: the so-called "split torque" clutch for the transmission and a separate hydraulically actuated PTO clutch which is located inside the center housing.

/ mf 35 or 135
Wow ,Thank you very much for the great info that saves me a lot of head scratching .you gentlemen sure know your way around tractors, i think the 35 might be a deluxe it has some of the options that the deluxe has i'll check it over now that i know what to look for many thanks to all you guy,s. i,ll try to send pictures to see what you boy,s think if it,s worth the money
very happy to be part of this forum jag244

/ mf 35 or 135 #9  
There is also a model of the 135 With 8F/2R no MP, and one With MP 16F/4R.

/ mf 35 or 135 #10  
I forgot to mention that the 135 actually came with one of three different gas engines. If its a 3 cyl gas, its the Perkins and may be a delux. If if has a 4 cly engine look on the left side of the engine (as if you were sitting on the tractor) and find the engine serial # plate....if it says its a "Z145" continental its a Delux and has the 2 stage PTO, if it says its a Z134 Cont., engine its the "standard" or trans. PTO...opt for the Z145 if you can...by the way the Z145 is a heck of and engine and very easy to work on. BobG in VA