mf65 trans oil

/ mf65 trans oil #1  

toddol1971

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey ferguson Model 65 gas
I've used gl-1 I think it is in the past. I looked at rural king the other day and they dont have it. I was on vintage tractor engineers site the other day and he recommends 15w40. Is that right? I'd rather go that route if its legit cause its cheaper and easier to find. Its also what I use in my truck. Anyone go this route? I have an early 59. I know there are guys that have used whale blubber with no trouble LOL. I just want to be sure that I read that right on his site. So before I go dumping motor oil in the trans I'm here to see what my class mates think?

/ mf65 trans oil
   / mf65 trans oil
anybody?

/ mf65 trans oil #5  
I used GL5 gear oil in my transmission on my old MF65. It worked fine and I didn't have any problems with it.
Prior to using the gear oil I drained out the old transmission oil (very thick and dirty) and refilled with diesel. I ran the engine for a short time - moving forwards and backwards some forty or fifty feet. This was done to flush out the old gear oil. I then drained the casing of diesel and let it sit overnight to continue draining. I then used some cheap engine oil to flush out the diesel and again drained. Finally, after another overnight drain I refilled with the new gear oil.
I never had a problem and the transmission oil remained clean until the day I sold it, some two years later.

/ mf65 trans oil #6  
G'day we used to use BP TOU which was a 10w30 that could be used in the transmission as well as the engine so I don't see how a 15w40 would be that much different apart from being a bit thicker

Jon

/ mf65 trans oil
sorry it took me so long to get back. tsc, nor napa has gl1. thats what i used the last time. I dont like it for winter time. It takes awhile to get quick responce. It moves, just not fast until it warms up. I read today that you can use mf hc plus or universal 15/30 or 15/40. I dont know what to do? I dont want something that will eat at bronze. Thanks for all the replys.