MF 35X Combustion Chamber Cap/Gasket blowby

/ MF 35X Combustion Chamber Cap/Gasket blowby #1  

Elhiggoo

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 35X
Have a MF 35X that wasn't started in 10-15 years, reason for it was gasket blew off the combustion chamber cap in between the exhaust gasket. Recently started tractor up again in spare time and cant get the combustion chamber gasket to seal, continuously getting blowby out of the top of the gasket/cap, even with new copper gaskets and caps. Wondering if anyone knew any ways of sealing this gasket? Would it be the cap, gasket or engine block that is at fault?

/ MF 35X Combustion Chamber Cap/Gasket blowby #2  
G'day and:welcome: check the cap plate is flat as they get fitted with copper rings and it allows the plate to distort when tightened ( usually after they leak ) if you have access to a sparex dealer they should be able to get you a gasket that is the full surface of the plate.

Jon

/ MF 35X Combustion Chamber Cap/Gasket blowby
Thanks, took a closer look at the cap plate and found it to have a rough jagged finish even though I bought it new, never thought to even check that! Going to try and smooth it down to a flat finish to try and seal the cap against the engine block, will post on how it goes. Thanks Jon, any more advice or any other solutions from anyone would be appreciated!

/ MF 35X Combustion Chamber Cap/Gasket blowby #4  
G'day Elhiggoo.
have you fixed it yet!!.
If no First thing is to anneal the gaskets that is to heat them redhot and drop them in a bucket of water to cool them down then give them a bit of a descale with a wire brush get a can of silver spray paint and spray the cylinder head( only the area where the cap fits) then spray the cap ,the area where the gasket fits on the cap assemble and Tighten the bolts even get a feeler gauge and make sure that the cap is even all round and slowly tighten the nuts a bit at a time till they are all tight and check the GAP with the feeler gauge when tight, it must be even, the silver paint acts like a gasket sealer i have done this on more than one 35 diesel tractor and it worked every time.
happy days.
Hutch.

/ MF 35X Combustion Chamber Cap/Gasket blowby
Okay been a while since I've been on this, still having the same problem despite smoothing down all surfaces and heating the copper gaskets to help shape them properly. Quizzed my father about the circumstances in which the gasket went, says he had loaned it to a neighbour years ago when it went, and the neighbour continued working the tractor even though he was aware something was wrong with the engine at this stage, safe to say after the certain neighbour broke another one or two bits of machinery after this my father stopped loaning him equipment! Anyways, wondering is it possible for a groove to have been worn into the head of the engine below the gasket cap when it was continued to be worked by the neighbour causing the inability to get it to seal properly? If so will I be needing a new head because I cant see any possible way of repairing it? Thanks

/ MF 35X Combustion Chamber Cap/Gasket blowby #6  
I would not think the head was washed out ,but to check ,remove the fuel tank ,this will let you see what is going on, next remove the caps ,all three and the studs,this will allow you to get a straight edge say a steel rule must be dead straight next get yourself some feeler gauges they are not that expensive then using the straight edge and the feeler gauge check the manifold area of the cylinder head it should be no more than say 010" Ten thousandths of an inch at any one point,if you find that it has been washed out Remove the cylinder head and have the Exhaust face of the head remachined, fit a new cylinder head gasket and you are good to go.
Happy Days.
Hutch.