Need help identifying model of my tractor

/ Need help identifying model of my tractor #1  

WMB

Tractor
Massey Ferguson ??
Greetings from another newbie. I am a first time tractor owner and recently purchased an old Massey Ferguson. I cannot figure out exactly which model I have. The decal on the hood says Deluxe Massey-Ferguson 35. It has serial # TO-96729 and made under US and Canadian patents on the tag attached above the steering wheel and has the 4 cylinder Z120 engine with a 6 volt electrical system. Can anyone give me some guidance on figuring out what this is since I have been unable to reconcile the serial number to the other information.

Thanks in advance.

/ Need help identifying model of my tractor #2  
Sounds like it's a TO 35, dating from about the time the switch was being made from Ferguson to Massey Ferguson.

Got pictures? More than anything else, pictures will provide answers that would take several rounds of '20 questions' to otherwise dig out.

TO should be Tractor Overseas, but IIRC there were 3 or 4 locations making these tractors pretty much at the same time, each making models specific to the area they were in. The intervening years have brought together parts and pieces too. Just throwing that in as a possibility that someone stuck the hood off a compatible machine on the tractor as a replacement...Long shot though.

There are a couple versions of the Ferguson/ Massey Ferguson 35 manual available online if you dig around the web.

Trev

/ Need help identifying model of my tractor
Thanks for the response Trev. Unfortunately, I am in the process of rebuilding the tractor as a result you could see the various pieces but not the whole thing. I suppose I could post some pictures of the hood, serial # plate, etc if it would help. As you noted, there are several variation floating around and I am trying to determine which mine might be so that I can obtain the correct manual. I do know that everything on the tractor is original (except for the normal pieces replaced as a result of wear or breakage) since I met the owner before he passed away several years ago. I guess I will go with your guess which agrees with what I had thought and call it a TO-35 until I get more info.

Bill

/ Need help identifying model of my tractor #4  
Yeah, I feel yer pain!

I just bought a FE-35 Ferguson that is painted Red and grey, and has Massey Ferguson decals showing over the Ferguson ones.

Not sure if it was a transition time at the dealership, or if someone came along later and...???

But whatever. Grabbed a couple different sources of Massey Ferguson 35 manuals plus the two different paper books that came with it. Betweenn being able to point at the picture and grunt, as well as being able to measure things and compare, I figure there is not too much I cannot figure out. At least mine has a serial number that falls into line with the easy to find sources. Digging around here and on some other forums, I see all manner of posts regarding tractors with model numbers and serial numbers that do not seem to fit the 'lists'. Between Gov't purchgases, Military, assorted industrial models that are essentially 'almost' identical, etc., it seem that there are rather more variations than normal ones, sometimes.

Whatever. At the end of the day, most of the tractor parts that are available will fit pretty interchangeably, and the engines that were used were also used for a lot of other makes and purposes. The benefits of off-the-shelf manufacturing, eh?

Trev

This one seems to definitely fit in the unusual category. The motor, a Z129 fits in the TO-30 range for tractors built in Detroit between 1951- and 1954 but the serial number says built in 1948 and other indicators say a TO-35. Even the serial number plate is different that what I normally see in that it has Harry Ferguson on it rather than Massey Ferguson. I don't know what to call it so I guess I will just call it a Fergie.

Bill

/ Need help identifying model of my tractor #6  
Pretty safe bet, Harry Ferguson was tied in with Massey and Ford IIRC, and was the fella that came up with a practical 3 pt hitch, aka, "The Ferguson System", of the decals on the tractors.

Harry Ferguson is NOT the same as Massey Ferguson, but Ferguson Tractors did evolve into the latter.

The serial numbers will have to be checked against the correct lists to be of any use, eh? :)

Trev

/ Need help identifying model of my tractor #7  
With that serial number, it should be a Ferguson TO -30 (TO 60001 to TO 140000). If it has a Z120 engine it is most likely had a change from the OEM Continental Z-129 engine to the Continental Z120. Go to the FENA website or to Yesterdays Tractors and look up serial numbers to get the year. It's like an early '50's machine and not a '48 since the TO-30 was built between 1951 and 1954..

Jerry, Thanks for the reply. I mistyped the engine number in my original post. I have a Z129 engine in the tractor. I am still having trouble reconciling the TO30 with a Continental Z129 engine produced in Detroit between 1951 and 1954 with serial number lists that show it should have been built in 1949. The lists I have seen shows serial numbers 77773-116461 built in1949 and my serial number is 96729, right in the middle of that range. Do you have any idea why there would be that discrepancy? Also, is a metal Ferguson name plate with on the front grill work typical of that era?

Bill

/ Need help identifying model of my tractor #9  
Bill,

I don't know where you got your serial number list from but the harry Fwerguson TO-20 (Not Massey Ferguson) had serial numbers from TO 00001 to TO 60000 and the TO-30's started at TO 60001 and went to TO 140000. Clearly your tractor is a TO-30 with that serial number. You can check on the sites I recommended. It has the Z129 engine which is also indicative that it is a TO-30. Another indicator is the dash. On the TO-30, the air cleaner inlet is on the dash in the upper right hand corner.Check the serial number lists at the sites I gave you.
The metal "Ferguson" name plate just above the grill was used on the TO-20's and the TO-30's and possibly on the TO-35. OEM it has a blue background.

Thanks Jerry. After reviewing your post and other information, I have come to the same conclusion as you, that I do have a TO-30 produced in 1952. Now I can continue with my rebuild/restoration process. I have never seen a piece of machinery that had more worn out, rusted out and swapped out, non-original parts as this one. It is a challenge and I look forward to getting it complete and actually running again. Thanks again for the info.

Bill