3-Point Hitch massey 135 stabilizer bars or chains for heavy duty rotary cutter, and draw bar

/ massey 135 stabilizer bars or chains for heavy duty rotary cutter, and draw bar #1  

joetrotter

Tractor
massey ferguson 135
I just bought a restored 1965 masey 135. Its my first tractor and it did not come with stabilizer bars or chains. I also just ordered a rotary mower from everythingattachments. I assume I need stabilizer bars or chains to keep the mower off my tires and minimize the lateral motion. Any advise which to get - bars or chains. I also am getting a draw bar so I can attach a 2" ball to pull a trailer for wood. We live on 50 acres of hardwood so we heat with wood. Would the draw bar and ball be enough or would it rotate and need a special hitch? Any help for this novice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

/ massey 135 stabilizer bars or chains for heavy duty rotary cutter, and draw bar #2  
You should have chains that attached to your link arms.Those will stop implements from hitting your tires. there should be a mount on your axle for stab bars too.

/ massey 135 stabilizer bars or chains for heavy duty rotary cutter, and draw bar
Thanks Murph. The link arms already have chains that connect up behind the seat. The mounts are there for stabilizer bars too. Are the stabilizer bars needed for the rotary cutter? I can pick some up from Tractor Supply if I can figure the length. I've also heard that there are adjustable chains that can connect to the mounts under the axle. Are they as effective?

Thanks
Joe

/ massey 135 stabilizer bars or chains for heavy duty rotary cutter, and draw bar #4  
Use stabilizer bars and the chains that are on it. Got any pics of your tractor?

/ massey 135 stabilizer bars or chains for heavy duty rotary cutter, and draw bar #5  
Here's a few photos of the rear of my 1964 MF135 diesel showing the sway chains and the lower 3pt arms.

MF135 stabilizer-1.JPGMF135 stabilizer-2.JPG

You can see the attach pins for the stabilizer bars on the axles under the fenders.
That old 135 of mine did not come with the stabilizers.
Check out this recent TBN thread, post #20, for a photo showing how to set up the stabilizers on the 135. I think this is what you want.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ls-tractors/322949-bent-stabilizer-convert-ball-bushing-2.html

Good luck

/ massey 135 stabilizer bars or chains for heavy duty rotary cutter, and draw bar #6  
"joetrotter"

I highly recommend stabalizer bars for your 135 while using a rotary cutter. You didn't mention size of the cutter but I will assume 5 foot or 6 foot. I use a 6 foot cutter and wouldn't run the 135 with out the bars. There are Check Chains available for the 135 that are excactly what you would want. I ran with just check chains before and found that while turning there was just too much sway for my liking. (Three point cutter with single wheel at back.)

There are kit's that sell just one bar, I wouldn't waste my time on those, you will end up with movement that will eventually loosen the fender bolts and end up with a floppy fender as well as a sloppy implement.

As you see in this photo I use two bars connected to brackets that bolt to the fender bolts. These brackets use lynch pins that have the option to bolt to 4 holes pre drilled in the bracket. Original factory fender bolts may not be long enough, so a trip to the hardware store may be needed. This stabalizer bar comes complete as a kit From Tisco through many tractor parts vendors, I'll provide link to one I bought, it should have the bar measurements in the description.

Stabalizer bar Kit
Massey Ferguson 135 Stabilizer Kit, High Alloy - SK100-33XHD Perfect length, and slight bend at each end to fit implement and bracket perfectly with no binding.

Check chain - perfect mount to PTO area of a MF135
I can't find a link at this moment, but will look like the one in the picture.

As to your second question. A "drawbar" to most would mean the bar that attaches to a pin up under the tractor and exits just below the PTO. I know your thinking a drawbar that attaches to the 3 point lift. If you buy one of those, YOU WILL need to purchase a device to keep that bar from spinning.

Last edited: