MF 135 UTF running from weep hole

/ MF 135 UTF running from weep hole #1  

rnccen

Tractor
Massey 135
I have a 135, the hydraulic / transmission was overfilled and run for about 1 hour with a brush hog. I went out and found fluid running out of the weep hole forward of the transmission and it appears that a large % of the UTF has gone.

I would appreciate some insight as to what are the likely solutions to what may have resulted or would I be safe to drain what ever fluid is left, put in 8 gallons of UTF and be ok?

1.) I read some posts about splitting a tractor to replace a seal....how can I tell if that is the cause of the fluid running from the weep hole?

2.) What are the typical rates to fix / replace the seal?

I have both the service manual and parts manual but am not prepared to personally split a tractor.

I am looking for constructive feedback please.

Thanks

/ MF 135 UTF running from weep hole #2  
I have a 135, the hydraulic / transmission was overfilled and run for about 1 hour with a brush hog. I went out and found fluid running out of the weep hole forward of the transmission and it appears that a large % of the UTF has gone.

I would appreciate some insight as to what are the likely solutions to what may have resulted or would I be safe to drain what ever fluid is left, put in 8 gallons of UTF and be ok?

1.) I read some posts about splitting a tractor to replace a seal....how can I tell if that is the cause of the fluid running from the weep hole?

2.) What are the typical rates to fix / replace the seal?

I have both the service manual and parts manual but am not prepared to personally split a tractor.

I am looking for constructive feedback please.

Thanks

1) The seal in question is the transmission input shaft seal. It is located in a housing internal to the transmission. You can check the integrity of the seal by refilling with fluid to the correct level, and running the tractor. A bad seal will produce a steady stream of fluid at the weep hole. You don't want to use the tractor if it's leaking steadily. This is because the friction material on the clutch will be compromised by the transmission fluid. If you remove the inspection plate you might be able to assess this situation. If the clutch is really bad (friction lining dissolving), you will feel the pedal vibrate when you dis-engage the clutch.

2) This repair will most likely be in the +$1000 range. There are variations within the MF 135 (split torque clutch, dual clutch, multi-power), so while I don't like to generalize, removing the seal housing typically requires splitting tractor between the engine / transmission AND between the transmission / center housing (differential). It's a lot of disassembly to get to that piece. I would plan for the eventuality that fluid got on the clutch lining. Moreover, for all of the work involved in splitting the tractor, clutch replacement (disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot shaft bearing) at this time is sensible. It's also best to be prepared to renew the rear engine crankshaft seal.

Make sure whoever does the work replaces all of the other seals & gaskets associated with the repair. Your parts book will show which ones will be required. I hope this helps. Good luck.

/ MF 135 UTF running from weep hole
klancf51, thank you for the response....it is a 1964 MF 135...as for the clutch type and or multi-power, I'll have to do some research on it....I do know that the area where the multi-power lever is supposed to be on the dash has a block plate over it.

I drained all the fluid out and put 5 back in....same thing straight out of the weep hole...so I suspect that the seals are toast and the clutch as it was also coming out of where the starter goes into the housing...I'll have to order all the parts and then find a tractor mechanic in San Antonio as the closest MF dealer is quite aways away.

In terms of securing the parts, is there one supplier better than the next?

Regards

Paul

/ MF 135 UTF running from weep hole #4  
klancf51, thank you for the response....it is a 1964 MF 135...as for the clutch type and or multi-power, I'll have to do some research on it....I do know that the area where the multi-power lever is supposed to be on the dash has a block plate over it.

I drained all the fluid out and put 5 back in....same thing straight out of the weep hole...so I suspect that the seals are toast and the clutch as it was also coming out of where the starter goes into the housing...I'll have to order all the parts and then find a tractor mechanic in San Antonio as the closest MF dealer is quite aways away.

In terms of securing the parts, is there one supplier better than the next?

Regards

Paul

I like to use Sparex aftermarket parts where possible (AGCO acquired Sparex in 2010 as I recall). Here is a link to the to Sparex MF5 http://www.sparexusa.com/Catalogs/MF/Transmission.pdf
My preferred supplier for Sparex parts is: My Farm Parts, Tractor and Implement Parts at an Affordable Price. Just because they don't list a specific part on their eCommerce site doesn't mean they don't have it, so it helps to call them.
As I mentioned, with these tractors there are variations in the engines, transmissions, clutches, hydraulics, PTOs, etc. Be sure to identify your tractor and use your parts book to make sure you have the correct part numbers.

Good luck Paul.

/ MF 135 UTF running from weep hole #5  
The serial number might be on the dashboard. In the case of my 1964 MF135 diesel, the S/N was on the right side of the battery tray. You have to remove the air filter housing to see it.

My guess is that the clutch is probably worn and oil-soaked and will have to be replaced. Also replace the rear main crankshaft seal on the engine as well as the leaking tranny seal. This repair probably will be $2000 plus or minus.

Unless you can do repairs like this yourself, owning 60 year old tractors can become an expensive proposition. I probably have $1500 invested in tools to do tractor work like this. I've split several tractors myself the size of your 135. It's quite a bit of work.

Good luck

/ MF 135 UTF running from weep hole #6  
6 speed you split at bellhousing and r&r seal and bearings in the inputhousing .........8 speed........split at bellhousing AND diff housing ......must drop the PTO gear to remove inputhousing

/ MF 135 UTF running from weep hole #7  
6 speed you split at bellhousing and r&r seal and bearings in the inputhousing .........8 speed........split at bellhousing AND diff housing ......must drop the PTO gear to remove inputhousing

This is not accurate. The work procedure depends on the specific model. I have a MF 135 Deluxe, 6-speed and it was necessary to split the transmission from both the engine AND the center housing in order to drop the PTO gear and release the input housing. Your comment may refer only to early models with 6-speed. As I mentioned in my earlier post, "with these tractors there are variations in the engines, transmissions, clutches, hydraulics, PTOs, etc. Be sure to identify your tractor and use your parts book to make sure you have the correct part numbers."