Massey 165 Hydraulic Pump

/ Massey 165 Hydraulic Pump #1  

BADDBOYY21

Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 165 Diesel
I bought my 165 last fall. I have been using it to brush hog, broadcast seed/fertilizer and to pull a trailer.

The engine runs well but the hydraulics are not as strong as it should. I have a woods Cadet 72 6' brush hogs. It's pretty heavy. If I keep the brush hog raised and turn off the tractor. It will drop immediately. It will also drop slowly if I have the clutch pressed down. I also noticed that there is some chattering if I put the quadrant control in "constant pumping" mode. I have replaced the transmission fluid last fall when I did a complete servicing of the belt, hoses, filters and fluids. I did not change the hydraulic filter.

I have searched previous threads and came to the conclusion that the pump may need rebuilt. My question is, what is the ballpark cost to have a dealer rebuild the pump.

/ Massey 165 Hydraulic Pump #2  
I bought my 165 last fall. I have been using it to brush hog, broadcast seed/fertilizer and to pull a trailer.

The engine runs well but the hydraulics are not as strong as it should. I have a woods Cadet 72 6' brush hogs. It's pretty heavy. If I keep the brush hog raised and turn off the tractor. It will drop immediately. It will also drop slowly if I have the clutch pressed down. I also noticed that there is some chattering if I put the quadrant control in "constant pumping" mode. I have replaced the transmission fluid last fall when I did a complete servicing of the belt, hoses, filters and fluids. I did not change the hydraulic filter.

I have searched previous threads and came to the conclusion that the pump may need rebuilt. My question is, what is the ballpark cost to have a dealer rebuild the pump.

I had a similar situation with MF 135. Here's what I would do:
  1. Attach a heavy over-hanging 3-point implement (the bush hog will do).
  2. Drain enough hydraulic fluid so that you can remove the inspection plate on the right side of the center housing.
  3. Place position control in down position. Start the tractor and let the hydraulic fluid warm up.
  4. Fully raise and lower the implement several times (to bleed air from the system).
  5. Fully raise the implement
  6. Via the inspection port, look for leaks in the front (where the stand pipe meets the top cover) and rear (near the hydraulic cylinder).
  7. Turn off the tractor.
  8. At the inspection port watch & listen for leaks as the implement lowers. Yours is leaking down so you should see or hear something. A mirror helps a lot. Since you have pressure control, pay special attention to the pressure control valve - it should not leak.
  9. You might have to repeat a few times to see everything you want to see.

I have found leaks due to:
  • Stand-pipe O-rings with missing back-up washers
  • Pressure tube with a missing O-ring
  • Pump control valve with a leaky diaphragm
  • Worn hydraulic piston rings

MF165 is a great tractor. Hope this helps. Good luck.

/ Massey 165 Hydraulic Pump
One of my remotes has a very slow leak. You will only notice the drip over night. Would this leak be causing the issue or at least be one of the problems?

/ Massey 165 Hydraulic Pump #4  
One of my remotes has a very slow leak. You will only notice the drip over night. Would this leak be causing the issue or at least be one of the problems?

No way. A minor leak like that (drip over night) is not associated with the implement quickly lowering when the pump is shutdown.