MF135 Diesel Engine Died this week

/ MF135 Diesel Engine Died this week #1  

David Devuono

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200
My 1960 something UK135 Diesel started making popping sounds this week. I could feel air coming out the breather where one would expect suction. I had a job to do, water temp was 180 and I continued to work the tractor pulling loads of gravel where only when dumping the trailer would I rev the engine. Anyway after several hours of this popping it got worse and then the motor started to faintly smoke and I parked it before it died in my work area. It would not be so bad except for two days earlier I changed out a tire tube. Not sure if a valve let go or something simpler being a diesel. I will have to investigate further but who knows when I will have time. All I can say is that when it started popping out the intake, the oil level was normal, clean and no appearance of antifreeze. In the end, I checked nothing but it still was making 40 psi oil pressure and temp was 180, but the engine seems to be melting down, IE smells etc associated with an over heating or siezing engine. 50 years is pretty good for any engine, I was just not ready to retire my favorite bush tractor.

/ MF135 Diesel Engine Died this week #2  
Which engine is in it? The Perkins AD3.152? Just not sure if there was a different engine in the UK model.

/ MF135 Diesel Engine Died this week #3  
Might be an valve that has gone, have seen this on MF135 and there the valve broke apart and took the piston out. Parts are very cheap and its a machine worth giving some tlc, I have one my self.

/ MF135 Diesel Engine Died this week #4  
The Perkins is a sleeved engine and can be easily resurrected from anything short of a cracked block.

/ MF135 Diesel Engine Died this week #5  
If it is a Perkins engine it will be easy to tear down and put back together. I did just that as a teenager. These engines are just oversized meccano sets.

/ MF135 Diesel Engine Died this week #6  
Popping back through the intake means an exhaust valve is not working correctly, and the spent gas comes back out the intake when it opens since it couldn't get out the exhaust port. Valve cover needs to come off, check for a damaged exhaust rocker arm. On some engines the push rod may have come loose but this engine has none. Dad had a 165 MF that an exhaust arm broke, made a LOT of noise at the air cleaner..

/ MF135 Diesel Engine Died this week #7  
Check your injectors to make sure their torqued down properly. i had a similar incident on my 65 diesel, and two of the injectors were loose.