MF30 Industrial diesel question

/ MF30 Industrial diesel question #1  

ndmarks

Tractor
mf30
Anyone out there familiar with the 70's vintage MF30 Industrial with the Perkins Diesel? On mine, at the rear of the motor, on the left side, there is a thick metal plate (where the clutch area is attached). at the top of this plate is a plug. I have oil seeping from this plug when the motor is running (I'm not sure yet if it is engine or hydraulic oil). A dealer told me this probably means problems with the output shaft and the tractor must be split to fix it (at a cost of $3000-$4000) plus finding a way to getting the unit to the dealer. Does this make sense? The dealer said first to determine the type of oil, but there should not be any oil coming out as the plug is only meant to look into. I have neither the tools/knowledge nor the place to fix it myself. Thanks

/ MF30 Industrial diesel question #2  
If its seeping from around the oblong rubber plug you do have a oil leak of some kind, so your dealer is correct. The tractor will need to be split right behind that plate (that thick plate is a adaptor plate so that the engine, and transmission can be bolted together). After it is split all the seals on the back of the engine, and the seals on the front of the transmission should all be replaced since its a big job to split the tractor. Maybe you can find a mechanic that works on tractors (that doesn't work at a dealer) that can do the job cheaper.

/ MF30 Industrial diesel question
Kenneth, Just in case you didn't get my email reply, thanks for answering. It just confirms what the dealer told me. I'm looking for a mechanic nearby. Would it be a problem if I continue to use the tractor until I can get it split as long as I keep the oil levels full?

Thanks again, Nick

/ MF30 Industrial diesel question #4  
As long as you check the oil levels on a regular basis (after awhile you can probably find how long you can run between checks), and don't let the oil get low in shouldn't hurt it.